Wheel & Tyre Combination Spec

• Replacing non mustang wheels with original options.

65 Fastback, build Sept 64. Non GT kar. Front disk original.

What was the optimum wheel size and tyre combination front and rear for performance, look and stance?

Reading a myriad of varying information courtesy of Internet search however a few variables.

14 or 15 inch and what rims? Tyre width... I want to stay as true to original options of the day but have a free hand at optimisation given it all has to be replaced.

Regards

• Original wheels were 14 x 5.00 and I prefer to use the styled steel original styled steel wheels. The 65 styled steel wheels were all chrome where the 66 style had a trim ring. The 67 styled steel wheel was pretty much the same but it was 14 x 5.50 and used a different trim ring. Wheel manufacturers produce the original stled steel wheels in widths at least up to 7 inches that normally will be all chrome without a need for a trim ring. I used the 14 x 7 wheels on a customers 1965 Kar with good results many years ago.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I’m running 15” Magnum 500 wheels with 205/65 Firehawk tires. They measure at 25.5 tall compared to the 25.3 (if the internet is correct) of the 6.95x14 I think were OE. Wider tire and I liked the look of less sidewall. It seems that there are more options with 15” tires. I did consider 225/60 for the rear just for the ‘look’ but in the end went 1 size because it was difficult to find a tire I liked at a price I liked available in both sizes.

There are 15” Styled Steel available.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!