• getting ready to install the rebuilt hipo that was rebuilt using the proper hatchet weight timing set along with the oem damper,

can someone in the know tell me what the proper flex plate off balance should be, since i'm using a C4 trans ,

simply wish to be sure knowing the now rarity of real 289 k code motors

• getting ready to install the rebuilt hipo that was rebuilt using the proper hatchet weight timing set along with the oem damper,

can someone in the know tell me what the proper flex plate off balance should be, since i'm using a C4 trans ,

simply wish to be sure knowing the now rarity of real 289 k code motors

What you need to do now is to contact the shop that balanced your engine as the flex plate is part of the balance procedure. The problem with using a known factory offset is that it most likely will not match your assembly. If you did not balence your engine, you should have, especially when using non matching components. If you did have your rotating assembly balanced, the balance shop will know what weight to use on the flex plate. Being as you have not yet installed your engine, it is just a matter of diassembling your engine, including the rods, and getting the balance work done. You can get by with only a few gaskets as the rings and bearings will still be useable. If your engine was previously balanced by a prior owner, you could contact them to get the balance card to give your balance shop.

I always balance my engines, especially with a previously mixed assemblage of parts.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• original owner long ago past away so the history is unknown and no it wasn't rebalanced dead as built just with a new hatchet weight timing set, sadly the current owner of the motor cheaped out, stating it ran just had a piston pin knock,, yah sure,i've never before seen cam bearing worn to the steel and the oil pump pickup clogged with silicon sealer, going by summit and jegs looks like a 28 ounce imbalance should work on a stock configuration , o-well if it vibrates it's his problem . as it was fine on the dyno with the stock flywheel making a easy 306 hp at 6.000

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!