Authentic restoration, repair what you have or new replacement parts?

• I am sure this is not an new question, I did do a thread search but didn't find anything that was current.

The re-body thread was an interesting read.

At what point or level of non Ford replacement parts does the community view an authentic K code kar, no longer authentic. Or is this even a thing?

I have an authentic 66 2+2 K code that needs almost everything from the door handles down. It has good rockers, doors, top and is complete. Rust damage is extensive. Needs shock towers, frame pieces, firewall, likely a cowl, cross member, complete floor, torque boxes etc.

Rust damage is bad but most could be repaired with time and money, replacement parts would likely be much faster and less expensive.

I'm not sure if I should go the 100% authentic route or just make a solid driver. FYI to me its about the car, not the resal value and I am not going for concours level, but admitadly I am a bit of a hot rod snob.

If my Model A was made from fiberglass or was a repo steel body I'm not sure I could call it a Ford Model A. Many people ofcourse do.

I would appreciate seeing your opinions.

Thanks in advance!

• Official Post

Back in 1984, I bought a very rusty Hipo GT pony interior convertible T5. I had to do a lot of rust repair back when there were not as many repro sheet metal items available. My Kar was probably not as bad as your Kar sounds but I did need to replace torque boxes and inner rockers. When I bought the Kar, I drove it from Georgia to California with my family. When you had the doors closed, you had to kick them to get out as the strongest structure of the Kar was the paint :) I had some pieces from the left torque box fall off on the road as I was going through El Paso. The only upper body part that I did not replace was the deck lid. I replaced the panel in front of the deck lid, though. The list of NOS metal was extensive. 1/4 panels, fenders, hood, tail lamp panel and all other pieces such as emblems and handles. I replaced the doors with good used one along with repro floor pan pieces. The cowl and front structure was in good shape. It did not rear frame rails but it did get an NOS rear crossmember.

I had the Kar for a few years and it was written up in Mustang Monthly. A person in France needed the Kar more than I, so it went to France. Several people managed to keep in touch with me through the years and people sent me pictures of it when my buyer sold it to a man in Germany. It is now in a museum in Switzerland.

I feel that I did replace a lot of the Kar but it is still true its roots with the original drive train, buck tag and door tag.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!