new member from new jersey

• new to this site, but a old time mechanic . i'm building a 65 K code for a buddy but lack some brains as far as k code motors go,

the biggest issue i see is somewhere in time someone heaved the hatchet weight timing set, replaced with a non HP set.

can that type be safely used? what has to be done to use it?

• Official Post

new to this site, but a old time mechanic . i'm building a 65 K code for a buddy but lack some brains as far as k code motors go,

the biggest issue i see is somewhere in time someone heaved the hatchet weight timing set, replaced with a non HP set.

can that type be safely used? what has to be done to use it?

Welcome aboard the site!!

The engine can be used without the counterweight but Ford spent a lot of money and engineering to add that counterweight. The Hipo balancer has a different lighter offset weight from a standard balancer. They were trying to get weight off of the nose of the crank to lessen the chance of breaking the crank in front of the number one main bearing. Ford did this as they were trying to get by with a cast crank where Chevrolet used a forged crank in High performance applications beginning in 1957. When the Hipo 289 came out in 1963, Ford spent a lot of resources to add the counterweight behind the crank sprocket. The normal timing chain and sprockets at that time were the wide version. In order to place the counterweight behind the crank sprocket, they had to make the crank sprocket narrower making a narrower chain necessary. With the narrower chain, now you need a narrower camshaft sprocket, thicker camshaft retainer plate and thicker spacer for the camshaft sprocket. Until mid 1965, no other Ford engine used this setup and the Hipo 289 was a low producttion volume engine. At that time and probably the same today, as an engineer coming up with anything costing an extra 5 cents for production, you could be "on the carpet" to explain this cost. If it was 10 cents, you may be looking for a job elsewhere. :) However Ford chose to spend the extra time and money that the engineers came up with.

It is true that the engine can be balanced without the counterweght but after Ford spent all of these resources to add this counterweight, who am I to think that eliminating it is a good plan. I have had and still have multiple Hipo 289 Kars and I have always used these counterweights in my engines. I actually have a fair number of both NOS and used crank sprockets and counterweights in my stock.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• thank you fred

this motor came out of a wrecked 350 somewhere in the early 70's when it was placed into a 1932 Todor sedan, barely used due to low pressure oiling and overheating issues ,it sat from about 1992 till we pulled it to freshen it up. while doing a restoration/updating of the 32

casting dates

block 5j25

heads 5k 2 and 5k4

assembly stamp on the left front ear 5k14

there is NO vin stamp anywhere on the block on the right front yet a barely readable 5k 1??? stamped into the pan rail under the pan gasket on the right rear corner by the rear main with a large R stamped above that number

somehow i have a gut feeling this was a warranty or a over the counter long block as these dates if correct should be for a 1966 car not a 65? since i understand 66 production started mid aug 65 ,

i have located a NOS timing set and will use it. other wise the block ball honed nicily, staying standard , crank still remarkable standard/standard, it will get a new set of pistons as we found several tight wrist pins.along with several signs of valve float where they did hit the pistons, bending a few intake valves the reason for low oil pressure that wiped the cam bearings out found, a clogged pump pickup .

machine shop has rebuilt the heads , bronze sleeved the guides,

the cam is going to be a comp nostalgia hydro lifter cl31-670-4  

carburation while we do have the oem autolight we will use a 600 cfm holley single feed ,

• PS

torque specs are driving me a little nuty mains and heads i have found 70 on most 289's save a few that tell 289hp 95 to 105 , what's correct?

hate sounding super dumb as i'm normally a chevy guy owning a 64 C2 250 hp coupe and a 70 ls 6 ss454 chevelle but love all of the big 3 muscle cars .i enjoy restoring them all in semi retirement .

• wish i knew??? it's stamped into the rail just under the pan gasket area just above the machining date code that cleaned up reads 5K12T on a block cast 5J25 .

if these codes are read correctly it's about 3 weeks from casting of the block to final assembly .

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!