66 K-Code GT Fastback Production Numbers

• This post is in response to a question posed by GT-Craig back in late 2021, asking if anyone knew how many 1966 K-Code GT Fastbacks were produced. There were no replies. Since then, as the owner of a 1965 (not '66) K-Code GT Fastback myself, I have given the question much thought and research. While there can be no definitive answer (production records being long gone), I think I can offer a reasonably informed "guestimate".

Specifically to GT-Craig's question, I believe that probably between 700 and 1000 K-Code GT Fastbacks were produced in 1966. Taking both 1965 & 1966 production years together, I would estimate that anywhere from 2000 to 3000 total K-Code GT Fastbacks were produced, with more made in 1965 (1300 to 2000) than 1966 (700 to 1000).

Unless anyone really wants to know, I will spare you all my calculations--- though the math is easy, the assumptions the calculations are based on are complicated and subject to interpretation and dispute. Nevertheless, I am comfortable with my conclusions.

Let me know if anyone wants more info. But be careful what you wish for!

• I don't want to make your eyes glaze over with calculations, so I'll try to keep this (relatively) simple, while still citing sources for some of my assumptions.

The typical number for '65-'66 K-Code Mustangs is 12,742 (Tony Gregory, Peter Sessler and others). However, the 2+2 (fastback) wasn't introduced until about three months after the K engine was already available, so (assuming) about 500 K's per month, that means no more than (12,742-1500) = 11,242 K's were produced during the 2+2 production run.

The registry section of Tony Gregory's excellent book on the K-Code Mustang (4th ed.) indicates (out of about 1,400 K's registered), that about 50% are 2+2's. This is a much higher percent than coupes or convertibles. My guess is that many buyers were seeking to obtain a "budget" Shelby GT-350.

Anyway, if about half (50%) of all K-Codes were 2+2's, and 11,242 K's were built coincident with the 2+2, then (0.5 X 11,242) = about 5,621 K-Code 2+2's would have been built in '65-'66. HOWEVER, this number includes both GT's and non-GT's.

The accepted number for TOTAL GT's built in '65-'66 is 40,596 (Sessler, et al.) Remember, all GT's HAD to have either A or K-Code engines. So, what was the proportion between the two? Nobody knows exactly, but obviously the less-expensive A engine would outnumber the K.

Using on-line figures from internet sources (Early Mustang & In Search of Mustangs), each of which has a registry of about 35,000 - 40,000 entries, I isolated the registered A and K Code cars. In both databases, the ratio of A-Codes to K-Codes is about 6.5 to 1, or put another way, K-Codes make up about 15% (15.3%) of all A and K-Code cars.

PRESUMING that the ratio of ALL K-to-A codes is the same (whether GT or non-GT) and 40,596 GT's were built, then about (15.3% X 40,596) GT's were K-Code cars, or 6,211 cars.

Further, if (from Gregory's database) about 50% of K-Codes were 2+2's, and 6,211 GT's were K-Codes, then half (50% X 6,211) GT's were ALSO 2+2's, or 3,105.

And, if 5,621 was the total number of K-Code 2+2's (from para. 4, above), and 3,105 of these were K-Code 2+2 GT's, then (5,621 minus 3,105) or 2,516 would the the total of NON-GT 2+2's made in '65-'66.

But you asked about 1966 non-GT 2+2 K-Codes specifically. My guess is that since (slightly) more K's were made in 1965 than 1966, the split would be about 1,300/1,200, or about 1,200 non-GT K-Code 2+2's made in 1966.

Obviously I have made a number of assumptions herein. It is possible that the proportion of K-Codes registered in on-line and published databases may exceed the actual number built, as owners of special cars (like the K) may be more inclined to register them. So the actual numbers may be smaller. Still, given the lack of any other numbers about K-Code GT and 2+2 production, my calculations are (I hope) better than nothing.

• Ok...well that is a lot of work on your part...thanks.

Even though we'll never really know the real production figures on any of this, because the 'K' is such a special Kar, these sorts of exercises are very worthwhile.

It of course demonstrates that any Kar is a rare beast and worth the amount of effort that people spend on researching (through this site in particular), owning, restoring and maintaining.

And no matter how the numbers play out for the assumed production figures of select K models ie. fastbacks v coupes v convertibles or GT v non-GT or one color v another color or one option v another option etc, the numbers, it must be accepted, are incredibly small.

I've done a similar 'statistical extrapolation' exercise for a 66 K GT Auto Coupe that I own, just based on Gregory's book registry (which is a sufficiently large enough representative sample to draw educated inferences). Therefore, being biased towards my Coupe, I'm glad to find agreement that around 50% of all K-Codes were fastbacks (2+2). Further, I estimated around 33% would have been Coupes, and the remaining 18% or so Convertibles. So, in my world, I've got a rarer (although not necessarily more desirable) Kar than a fastback.

So I'd estimate of the 5,469 K-Codes produced in 1966, only about 1800 (33%), would have been Coupes. Moreover, how many of those would have been GTs? (I'll defer to your calculations above), but not many.

Furthermore, from a further study of Gregory's data, only about 25% of K-Codes would have been automatic (obviously affected by not being available in 1965), so the figures go down again.

But, this level of speculation of my part can be trite, and I'm just happy enough I own a vehicle that not only looks and drives great, but has a undeniable place in Automotive history because of, amongst other things, its performance characteristics, racing pedigree and rarity.... cheers.

• My rough guess is that maybe about 1,000 to 1,100 K-Code GT coupes might have been built in 1966, and a similar number in 1965. As you point out, all the '65's would have been 4-speed cars. For '66, (relying again on Tony Gregory's database), only about 11% of the K's would have an automatic, meaning there might have been only 110-120 K-Code GT coupes with an auto trans like yours. Pretty rare indeed! Remember too, like I said, the actual number could be smaller, as owners of special cars like these are probably more inclined to register them in the on-line databases, inflating the numbers relative to more common varieties of Mustang.

Consider this as well: I have read that the average survival rate for old cars is only about 25% or less, and not much higher even for special vehicles. I do know that the known survival rate for special cars such as the Chrysler 300 Letter cars (made from the mid-'50's to the early '60's) is less than 33%. Time takes its toll!

• All good fun alright... so I'm happy with whatever the 'Mustang Community' accepts as reasonable.

As for the 11% automatic figure you quote from Gregory at page 153 (actually 10.38%) is for total production 64.5 to 67. The automatic figure for 66 is 24.55%, so 25% of about 1,000-1,100 is still only 250 odd K-Code GT Coupes with auto....I'm still happy!!

• "PRESUMING that the ratio of ALL K-to-A codes is the same (whether GT or non-GT) and 40,596 GT's were built, then about (15.3% X 40,596) GT's were K-Code cars, or 6,211 cars."

Where did that 40,596 GT number come from?

I recall years ago that there were K "motor" production numbers somewhere around 7,000ish. Those found there way into production Mustangs, Shelby's, Cobras and service replacements. I haven't tracked it too closely over the years but 12,742 is a fairly precise number so I have to question where did that come from?

• Okay--- those are two separate questions: Where did I get the 40,596 number for '65-'66 GT's, and where did I get the 12,742 number for '65-'66 K-Codes? If you re-read my posts you will note that I did cite sources in passing, but as you don't appear to be familiar with these, I will give you "chapter and verse", so to speak.

The number of '65-'66 GT's (40,596) comes from Peter Sessler's "Illustrated High-Performance Mustang Guide" (Motorbooks International, 1983). Sessler further breaks it down to 15,079 GT's in 1965, and 25,517 GT's in 1966. Another source, Jim Smart's "1965-1990 Mustang GT/Mach 1 Guide (TAB Books, 1989) has the same number of GT's for 1966 (25,517), but differs slightly for 1965 (15,106), making the total slightly higher than Sessler (40,623 vs. 40,596). Apparently between the publication dates of 1983 to 1989, Jim Smart found another 27 GT Mustangs! Jim Smart, it should be noted, may be best known for authoring (with Jim Haskell) the two-volume "Mustang Production Guide".

As for the 12,742 K-Code Mustangs built in 1965-1966, Peter Sessler gives this number in his book; also Tony Gregory gives the same number in his book, "The 289 High Performance Mustang" (4th Ed., Performance Publications 2006).

Are these numbers accurate? All these authors know far more about early Mustang production than I do, and I trust they did their homework.

Hope that answers your questions!

• Fantastic information. I own a 66 K non-GT fastback with the C4. (unit#199853) Based on your information above, less than 300 were produced. I really wonder how many actually exist now. My Kar is restored but not running. I need to find a reputable shop to get it back on the road. Any suggestions would be most appreciative. I live in Va Bch.

• "How many actually exist now?" As I said in a previous post, while it is impossible to know for sure, the typical survival rate for old cars is only 25-33%, usually less.

As for shops in Virginia, being in California I couldn't say. HOWEVER, the first place I would check is Virginia Classic Mustang (http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com). While they are in Virginia, they are not exactly close to you, and they probably don't work on cars anyway. BUT, they are good people and may have a good recommendation or two as to where you might take your Mustang. Good luck!

• Okay--- those are two separate questions: Where did I get the 40,596 number for '65-'66 GT's, and where did I get the 12,742 number for '65-'66 K-Codes? If you re-read my posts you will note that I did cite sources in passing, but as you don't appear to be familiar with these, I will give you "chapter and verse", so to speak.

The number of '65-'66 GT's (40,596) comes from Peter Sessler's "Illustrated High-Performance Mustang Guide" (Motorbooks International, 1983). Sessler further breaks it down to 15,079 GT's in 1965, and 25,517 GT's in 1966. Another source, Jim Smart's "1965-1990 Mustang GT/Mach 1 Guide (TAB Books, 1989) has the same number of GT's for 1966 (25,517), but differs slightly for 1965 (15,106), making the total slightly higher than Sessler (40,623 vs. 40,596). Apparently between the publication dates of 1983 to 1989, Jim Smart found another 27 GT Mustangs! Jim Smart, it should be noted, may be best known for authoring (with Jim Haskell) the two-volume "Mustang Production Guide".

As for the 12,742 K-Code Mustangs built in 1965-1966, Peter Sessler gives this number in his book; also Tony Gregory gives the same number in his book, "The 289 High Performance Mustang" (4th Ed., Performance Publications 2006).

Are these numbers accurate? All these authors know far more about early Mustang production than I do, and I trust they did their homework.

Hope that answers your questions!

• I would like to know where Pete got his numbers for GTs. Everyone including Kevin Marti and Ford acknowledges that all 65 and 66 records were destroyed. Tony's breakdown of 7,273 (65) and 5,469 (66) resonates with other numbers I've seen throughout the years but I seem to recall reading somewhere that those were K "engines" manufactured and not necessarily completed Mustangs. I could be wrong but absent any Ford production records as Marti has for 67 and up, it will remain unclear.

• "I would like to know where Pete got his numbers for GTs."

Well, you asked me where i got my numbers, and I told you, citing numerous sources. Now you want to know where they got their numbers. I guess you'll have to ask THEM.

I too have read that production records for the '65-'66 Mustangs were destroyed, and detailed chassis information, such as Marti has for the '67-up Mustangs, is unavailable.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean ALL '65-'66 production numbers are gone. For example, it is widely acknowledged that 607,568 Mustangs were built in 1966. So obviously, some data exists.

Since you remain unsatisfied, I'll leave it to you to make appropriate inquiries of Messrs. Sessler, Smart, Gregory, etc. Do share with us what you learn, as I'm sure we'll all be curious to hear what you find out!

• "Since you remain unsatisfied, I'll leave it to you to make appropriate inquiries of Messrs. Sessler, Smart, Gregory, etc. Do share with us what you learn, as I'm sure we'll all be curious to hear what you find out!"

It's not that I'm unsatisfied, I'm just wondering where those numbers came from. Unfortunately Pete Sessler passed away in 2019 but I did have his High Performance Mustang Guide stashed away and re-read the relevant parts.

- on page 143 he refers to K "Engine" Production by year and not specifically K Mustang production. This is what I mentioned in a previous post so if Pete somehow found engine production records from the engine plant in Cleveland, that could explain where those numbers came from. He also states that it is not known how many of those K motors went into GT's which would imply that he didn't have assembly line records and was instead working from engine plant production records. If that is the source then it would be safe to say those "Engines" found their way into multiple Ford products and not just Mustangs.

- He also states that for a GT with a K motor, it was mandatory to have either a 3.89 or 4.11 rear. Those ratio's are not conducive to cruising on the highway and caused more wear and poor gas mileage. On page 24 he states "For this reason, fewer 271 hp GT's were ordered" I read that statement as he had something to back it up in 1983, possibly sales records, when he wrote the book and was not speculation.

- On page 24, "Similar to the 1965 model, most GT's came with the smaller 225 hp 289 ci engine."

- Based on the above and focused on 1966 with a reported 25,517 GT's made and 5,469 K engines, if 100% of K motors produced went into Mustangs (they didn't) then you can play around with the math like so:

- If 80% of GT's were A code then 20% were K code = 5,104 or 93% or total K engine production

- If 95% of GT's were A code, then 5% were K code = 1,276 or 23% of total K engine production

If the 5,469 engine production is accurate and is not vehicle specific, then when you remove the 2,386 Shelby GT 350 cars for 1966, you're left with 3,083 engines mostly, but not all, targeted for Mustangs.

- Reapplying the math minus the Shelby numbers would look like this

- If 88% of GT's were A code, then 12% were K code = 3,063 or 99% of total K engine production (minus Shelby)

- If 95% of GT's were A code, then 5% were K code = 1,276 or 41% of total K engine production

- If 97% of GT's were A code, then 3% were K code = 766 or 25% of total K engine production

Lots of guess work going on but regardless, vehicle production was low for GT or non-GT

• I forgot to mention in the previous post that the statement in Sessler's book that it was mandatory for a GT with a K code to have a 3.89 or 4.11 rearend is not accurate. I have a build sheet for a 66 GT K code with a "25" for the axel code which is the code for a 3.50 rear

• Regarding your calculations about K-code Mustangs, Tony Gregory specifically states in his book that his enumerated total of K-code Mustangs does NOT include Shelbys. At least he says so specifically for the 7,273 K-code Mustangs made in 1965; and, I believe he is implying likewise for the 5,469 made in 1966. If so, your calculations are in error by deducting Shelbys from the totals.

Now I grant you, it seems logical to include Shelbys in the 12,742 K-code Mustangs produced in '65-'66. After all, if I were a junior Ford beancounter in San Jose back then tasked with tallying how many K-code Mustangs went out the door, it wouldn't matter to me whether they went to Shelby or any other dealer. They were still Ford K-code Mustangs until AFTER Shelby got through with them.

But Gregory seems to think otherwise. I'm not sure why, but (don't hold me to this!) it may have to do with the K-code numbers for 1967, where, because the Marti records exist for the 472 K's built, it is known this does NOT include the Shelby K's. So the same distinction is carried back to '65 & '66 (i.e., Shelby and non-Shelby K's are counted separately). Thought I read that someplace, but can't remember where!

As for the ratio of A-code GT's to K-code GT's, computing from data in Jim Smart's "in Search of Mustangs" website, for ALL A's & K's registered there (not just GT's) the numbers work out to 85% A and 15% K. I might expect the ratio (85/15) to be similar for GT's, but lacking more information, I guess it's impossible to know.

• Official Post

Here is a little tidbit of information that I have from a letter from Ford parts and service division in Dearborn on July 30, 1976 from B. Skowronek / owner relations. He states that there were 7,026 Mustangs with high performance engines produced in model year 1965.

This is the only "official" documentation that I have seen from Ford for either 1965 or 1966.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Here is a little tidbit of information that I have from a letter from Ford parts and service division in Dearborn on July 30, 1976 from B. Skowronek / owner relations. He states that there were 7,026 Mustangs with high performance engines produced in model year 1965.

This is the only "official" documentation that I have seen from Ford for either 1965 or 1966.

-Fred-

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!