New member in Michigan’s U.P.

• We bought our first Mustang last month, it’s a 65 kcode fast back. It was delivered last month, and I haven’t slept a wink since!

Been researching the car and learning everything that the web has to offer about my new car. We have long winters in the Upper Penninsula and it’ s tucked away in the garage, winterized and under a flannel cover. It’s a long wait til May. I have a feeling I’ll learn a lot from all of you and the Winter months will fly by.C36585D3-337D-45D7-9D5D-251082178869.jpeg

• Welcome aboard, Brad!!

You are off to a good start here with your picture post.

What do you feel that you need to learn about your Kar? There are many helpful people on this forum.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I’ve never had a dual point distributor, not to mention one without vacuum. Will my old vacuum gauge be a useful tool when fine tuning or will I just need the dwell/tach meter and my timing light? My balancer is marked for 12 degrees and I know I should “shoot for” a total of 38 to 40.

Could it really be that simple?

• I’ve never had a dual point distributor, not to mention one without vacuum. Will my old vacuum gauge be a useful tool when fine tuning or will I just need the dwell/tach meter and my timing light? My balancer is marked for 12 degrees and I know I should “shoot for” a total of 38 to 40.

Could it really be that simple?

You are correct on the dwell/tach meter and timing light. The more advanced timing lights have an adjustment to easily read the advance. With todays' fuels, 38 to 40 total may be a little too high, but you will know right away when driving. Yes, it is that simple.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Thanks Fred, I just picked up an Innova timing light, that has tach, dwell and advance features. The car runs good, but there is a slight hesitation initially, when depressing the accelerator. I’m guessing, it hasn’t had a valve adjustment in quite so time, also. I’m going to have to do some reading...I’ve never adjusted valves before...can’t wait!

• Thanks Fred, I just picked up an Innova timing light, that has tach, dwell and advance features. The car runs good, but there is a slight hesitation initially, when depressing the accelerator. I’m guessing, it hasn’t had a valve adjustment in quite so time, also. I’m going to have to do some reading...I’ve never adjusted valves before...can’t wait!

If you called me or gave me your number, I could call you. I can talk you through a very easy valve adjustment with no mess. I will not be available this weekend.

If your timing is correct, a hesitation is usually in the carburetor. Another thing to discuss.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• The snow is coming hard up in these parts and I pulled the battery this morning. I appreciate your advice and offer on the valve adjustment. I’ll get back at it in the Spring.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!