Possible Ford 1968 Replacement Hipo 289 Short Block in Mexican Block

• Official Post

Here is an Ebay auction for a used 6 bolt Hipo engine by Ebay member "autoaddictoldcars" with a Buy-It-Now of $3,150.00 or make offer:

This a a running engine with a short block that was possibly a Ford Service Unit for replacement of a 1965-1967 Hipo 289. See discussion below.

The engine is on a run stand and can be observed and heard running.

The block is a Mexican 302.  These blocks were built based on the Hipo 289 design which included heavier full width Main Caps.  There is also a rumor that higher strength iron alloy was used but not substantiated.  It is documented that Ford used these blocks for replacement blocks for the Hipo 289.  This particular short block has the Hipo 289 connecting rods with 3/8" diameter rod bolts (as opposed to the standard 5/16"), has a 289 crankshaft (Note the orange paint which was used by Ford to mark Hipo parts), the Hipo heavy weight damper (this is C8ZE-A which was the Service replacement unit), the added "hatchet" counter weight on the crankshaft along with the very hard to find narrow crankshaft timing gear, and a solid lifter camshaft.  The engine block is standard bore and appears to have been only painted black (not Ford Corporate Blue as would be expected on a normal production unit) and has orange marking on the left front of the block.  Ford used orange paint to mark Hipo parts. The bearings were found to be FORD bearings.  The rear main seal was still the rope seal and looks to have been the original seal. There was evidence that it had leaked so it was replaced.

The engine is equipped with a freshly remanufactured Autolite 4100 4-bbl 1.08 venturi carburetor (6A-F).  This is a standard 289 4 bbl (not Hipo).  The intake is C6OE-B. The heads are standard 289 heads (not Hipo). A new water pump and new fuel pump have been installed.  The cylinder walls are polished (cross hatching has worn away).  There appears to be very little wear on the piston skirts.  Would be beneficial to at least hone the bores and install new rings.  Has good oil pressure and very little wear evident on two rods bearing (chosen at random) and rear main bearing inspected.

Priced below what I can part this out for.  Only interested in the short block, send me a message.

Ford 289-4V - Running - Mexican 302 with 289 Hipo Internal Parts w/ Std Heads | eBay

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Official Post

Read the sellers description carefully as, my thoughts, are that this was what Ford offered as a replacement Hipo 289 short block back in the day. A friend of mine bought a 66 Hipo coupe brand new for the specific purpose of drag racing it. He raced that Kar until 1975 when I convinced to finally put some mufflers on it and get some street use out of it. He did replace the short block at one time and ended up with a Hecho en Mexico casting in the cam valley. We really did not care at the time as he was very successful with his Hipo 289 called the "Time Machine". He had run as fast as in the 11.40's at 116 MPH. By that time he had done his share of lightening the car by eliminating the front brakes as one measure. He was a terror on the street race scene with his wife antagonizing other people to race her husband. That is actually how I met him in the first place, but that is another story.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

The listing for this used 6 bolt Hipo engine was ended by the seller June 26, 2022 with the following explanation "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available".

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!