Center Konsole removal/install w/ Hurst shifter

• I'm hoping there's just something I'm missing here. Does anyone have input on how to remove and replace a center konsole (no A/C) with the hurst shifter and front mounting bracket, without damaging the konsole. A previous owner of my 66 damaged the konsole pretty bad at some point trying to do this. I've bought a new frame and moved all the wiring and hardware over and hope to avoid damaging it trying to get it in. The bottom lip of the front of the console is catching on the front mounting bracket and the rear of the console can't be angled down flat to clear the front over the bracket because the shifter won't move any further.

I hope to not have to remove the shifter completely to just get a console in....

Thank in advance!

• Official Post

I'm hoping there's just something I'm missing here. Does anyone have input on how to remove and replace a center konsole (no A/C) with the hurst shifter and front mounting bracket, without damaging the konsole. A previous owner of my 66 damaged the konsole pretty bad at some point trying to do this. I've bought a new frame and moved all the wiring and hardware over and hope to avoid damaging it trying to get it in. The bottom lip of the front of the console is catching on the front mounting bracket and the rear of the console can't be angled down flat to clear the front over the bracket because the shifter won't move any further.

I hope to not have to remove the shifter completely to just get a console in....

Thank in advance!

When the shifter is in neutral, is it centered in the factory hole in the floor?

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• In another forum, they suggested to remove the seats and ‘roll’ the console out/in with the shifter in 4th gear.

I didn't remove either seat, but I did try rolling it in, while in different gears. I'll take another look to see if removing the seat will help, but I'm not optimistic. I appreciate the suggestion.

• Well, good news, I was able to just barely roll it in very carefully with the seats moved all the way back. Didn't even have to remove the seats completely. Hat tip to 289kford.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!