Questionable Hipo Claims

• I recently saw this k code for sale on Hemmings and thought they were making some real bold claims about numbers of k codes produced. They claim a 1 of 1 car but as far as I know there is no way to tell the exact number of any particular configuration of pre 1967 cars since the records were lost. I have seen some fairly widespread estimates of K codes and GT cars but not combination of options.

Is there a definitive source for production numbers on these cars and what do you think of the claims on this listing? Misinterpretation of the k code registry as being all k codes produced or borderline fraud?

1966 FORD MUSTANG GT K-CODE FASTBACK – Daniel Schmitt & Co. Classic Car Gallery
    1966 Ford Mustang GT K-Code Fastback | 1 of 1 built with these options | Only 9,148 miles | Original 289 K-Code 4V HiPo engine | info@schmitt.com
    www.schmitt.com
  • My feeling is that some people use the registry as a bible, which it is not. It is merely a representation of the known Kars that have been presented to the registry by owners and sometimes just by ads for sale in publications or online. Being as the last registry publication was in the 4th edition Tony Gregory book, even this is sorely out of date. There have been numerous requests by owners to enter their Kar in this registry but it is now a closed book. The registry, even in its' best times, was never representative of all of the Kars produced before 1967.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!