C6FE-6090-A hipo heads

• Value, way too speculative for me to guess as there are lots of variables. Potential buyers might want to know if they are Ford originals or reproductions. A complication is that Ford made two different "original" casting versions. Another is that multiple companies have been making imitations since about 1974 for vintage racing.

In this century, but more than a decade ago, I have paid or sold as little as $1,200 for a set Shelby American used in a GT40 at Le Mans and $6,000 for set used in the Shelby-Titus 1967 Group II Mustang. These are factory race team serial numbered and matched sets though.

Dan

• I'm pretty certain they are an early version casting with the research I have done, plus called and talked to a company that reproduced these, he said they were not his and they were not reproductions.

• The market is so small I wouldn’t hazard what market price range might be. Speaking for myself, if I was hunting another pair, Ford ones not prepared for one of the 1960s teams, I would offer at least twice what similar condition production HP289 heads were selling for at the time.

Dan

Edited once, last by Dan Case: Rephrase for clarity. (December 12, 2020 at 2:57 AM).

• Hankster66 and Dan Case, Could you recommend a source to read up on these GT-40 heads? I know next to nothing about them and would like to learn. I am especially interested in the differences between these and standard hipo heads. Or if either of you would care to share what you have learned so far that would be great. Thank you.

• 289HD, aka GT40 heads-

There's an "early' and "late' design with regard to the spring pockets. (Early as in like the 289HP spring pockets, late as in machined in look/change in the head casting).

They used the close tolerance pushrods slots like the 289HP. The combustion chamber CC numbers are larger than the 289HP. The intake port is superior and the exhaust port

is far superior as compared to the 289HP. The only exhaust port close to that of a 289 HD would be those on the 302TP. They use GT40 valves, which are larger diameter than 289HP. (i.e.: 1.875 and 1.625....... pretty sure some were raced with 2.02's also)

Your brain-trust on these things would be Craig Conley, Randy Gillis, Jay Cushman and I'm sure a few others on this forum.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!