Tyre/ Wheel losing air

• Hi Everyone, my LH front tyre/ wheel has always lost air as long as I have had the Kar, over 25 years.
    The wheel are Shelby ten spoke and they looked old when I bought my Kar in the 90's.
    The leak has gotten worse over the years and only lasts approx. 1-2weeks before needing air again.
    I have had the tyres resealed several times but this has had mixed results.
    The tyre place I am probably going to buy new tyres from suggested painting the inside area of the wheel in an effort to make it airtight.
    I feel reluctant to pay someone to do a poor paint job on the wheel using a spray can and I would prefer get the tyre removed and clean the bead area up and then apply some paint.
    Any ideas on the best type of paint for this type of repair keeping in mind that I am in Australia so some products won't be available here but Eastwoods and VHT are. So 2 pack or spray enamel etc.
    Thanks in advance Eddie

• Eddie, Has your tire place dunked the complete wheel and tire assembly in a water tank to see the exact place of the leak? I have seen leaks in the aluminum where it is porous.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Hi Fred,
    I don't think that has been done but I am going to take the wheel of the car and take it in next week or the week after.
    I have had my doubts about it ever being resealed as I think the valve was leaking the first time and when I picked it up it still had the old valve still installed so I questioned the bloke about it, was assured it was good and continued to have a leak which I took back to get a replacement valve the week after and have not had any work done at that place ever again.
    I read about porous wheels hence the paint to seal it up but I suspect the bead was never cleaned properly by the couple of tyre places that I took it too.
    It is time for new tyres due to the age so I will get the tyres removed, take the wheels home, clean the bead area, maybe spray a coat or two of paint and then get new tyres after that.
    Thanks Eddie

• I wish you the best and please let us know what you find.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Eddie,

What style valve stem are you using? I have one original 66 GT350 10-spoke that would leak no matter what with the OE style rubber stem. Replaced it with the newer style metal stem with tightening nut and problem solved.

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

• Hi, I have had the two front tyres stripped off the wheels.

I then sanded the inside of the rims with 180grit paper to remove the stuck on rubber and to clean up the surface. Then I applied some acrylic wheel paint onto the inside surface and had two new tyres fitted.

The tyre man suggested the valve sealing onto the wheel may be the problem, upon removing the tyres and valve, the valve holes are larger than the holes used on newer rims. He had several sizes in stock.

A couple of weeks should determine if this was successful.

Here are some pictures I took of the wheels, I think they might be original and not repops.

Cheers Eddie

• I hope that this works out for you.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!