• Greetings, I am a newbie to the forum and have a question about the axle tag on a car that I have agreed to purchase tomorrow. I had the car inspected and the inspection went well. I have a friend who has owned several k codes and I let him look at the pics that the inspector sent to me. He has found a discrepancy with the tag codes according to his book. He says the tag code indicates a 3.89 ratio but also actually says 3.50 ratio which is indicated on the door tag with a 5. He says it is probably correct but I would need to check here on this forum as you guys are the experts. Thanks -Eric
    [hr]
    I added a pic of the tag but don't see it attached. I will have to figure out what is going on

Edited once, last by recips (November 3, 2019 at 4:34 PM).

• Quote from recips

Greetings, I am a newbie to the forum and have a question about the axle tag on a car that I have agreed to purchase tomorrow. I had the car inspected and the inspection went well. I have a friend who has owned several k codes and I let him look at the pics that the inspector sent to me. He has found a discrepancy with the tag codes according to his book. He says the tag code indicates a 3.89 ratio but also actually says 3.50 ratio which is indicated on the door tag with a 5. He says it is probably correct but I would need to check here on this forum as you guys are the experts. Thanks -Eric
    [hr]
    I added a pic of the tag but don't see it attached. I will have to figure out what is going on

Is the tag code a WCZ-H? I have seen discrepancies with this tag in the past. I would need to look at the tag on one of my Kars to check this out as I have a 3.89 rear end in one of them.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Quote from recips

Here is a picture of the tag. please let me know your opinions... good or bad! Thanks
    [hr]
    And yes it is a WCZ-H

I am on my way to SEMA this morning and I am already quite a ways from home where my Kars are. I will be unable to look at the Kar until this Saturday. when I return. That said, I am pretty sure that I have in my collection a tag the same as you have. This same deal came up a few years ago and as I recall we had the exact same issue. I believe, and my opinion is, that the Ford book is wrong. The Ford book has many errors such as the dates when the HEH-T transmission were used. That is listed as 8/20/64 to 10/1/64 and we have seen numerous examples with an HEH-T with a VIN and Kar as late as May 1965. Final opinion on my part is that the Ford book is in error and your tag is correct.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Thanks Fred!
    I actually spent several hours last night chasing this around the web. I found several documented cars that have the same tag as the one here in question. It has been a topic on many mustang forums and I have found no evidence that the tag is incorrect for this car. Thank you for the insight and I will complete the purchase today.
    Best Regards,
    Eric

• Quote from recips

Thanks Fred!
    I actually spent several hours last night chasing this around the web. I found several documented cars that have the same tag as the one here in question. It has been a topic on many mustang forums and I have found no evidence that the tag is incorrect for this car. Thank you for the insight and I will complete the purchase today.
    Best Regards,
    Eric

Sounds like a sound decision on your part, Eric. Excellent research job on your part before a purchase rather than the wakeup calls afterwards.

Make sure that you add some pictures to the sKrap book section of this forum.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!