Restoration Guidance Please

• So the car I have came with the correct vin stamped toploader and correct 9 inch rear end.
    The engine has all the correct hipo parts except the block from what I can tell, even the crank and a brand new hipo camshaft !. It has an Autolite 4100 but I don't think it is original based on the stampings.
    Before I did all this research my plan was to build the engine as a roller with hydraulic lifters and put an AOD automatic in it with A/C
    Now I'm having second thoughts!
    Would the car be worth significantly more if restored as a 4 speed and solid lifter car ?
    My idea was to make it an easy driver with modern conveniences like P/S, P/B and A/C
    I was going to keep all the old parts like the steering box, master cylinder and transmission in case I sell down the road.
    If my research is correct it could be 1 of 3 that came to Canada

• "Would the car be worth significantly more if restored as a 4 speed and solid lifter car ?"
    Yes, IMO.
    The question is why are you concerned? If flipping it then it will be worth more the closer to original.
    If you're planning on keeping it for yourself then build it the way that makes you happy. It's your car!
    BTW, I've seen several 4 speed K's that have added A/C.

1965 Silver Smoke Gray K GT Coupe
    1965 Springtime Yellow K Fastback
    1967 Vintage Burgandy K GT Coupe
    1970 Calypso Coral Boss 302
    1984 Light Canyon Red GT 5.0 Convertible (Original Owner)
    2012 Blaze Yellow Boss 302

• Thanks, I think I'm going to stick to my original plan with the AOD and A/C.
    I was originally looking for an auto , A/C car and just stumbled into this one and couldn't pass it by !
    My plan is to keep it and have some fun with it. Flipping is not the intent but as they say "everything is for sale"
    I will keep all the original equipment for it if somewhere down the road someone wants to change it back.

Edited once, last by rtate (July 17, 2019 at 8:03 PM).

• Official Post
    Quote from Hopeto

"Would the car be worth significantly more if restored as a 4 speed and solid lifter car ?"
    Yes, IMO.
    The question is why are you concerned? If flipping it then it will be worth more the closer to original.
    If you're planning on keeping it for yourself then build it the way that makes you happy. It's your car!
    BTW, I've seen several 4 speed K's that have added A/C.

+1 although this is how original Hipo drive trains get separated and lose sight of the Kar eventually but in your case it is just the transmission.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!