• Although the plane is not a Mustang it still makes an excellent background for your very sharp Kar.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Hi everyone but I'm hoping Jason Morsel sees this,

I'm an infrequent Australian visitor to the HiPo exchange site but I've learnt so much from all the experienced members.

Jason,

I've been admiring the recent photos of Kar's undercarriage and although my Kar is pretty original, it is nothing like the quality of yours. Congrats on one heck of a Kar.

I saw with interest your Los Gatos Swanson Ford number plate.

When I bought my Kar last year (second owner in Australia, since 2016), it came with similar number plates and the original (I've been told) restored Californian black plates.

I don't know anything about my Kar's U.S. history apart from what the VIN/door plate tell me, but maybe both our kars were sold by Swanson Ford?

Mine is a 14 April 1966 San Jose Candy Apple Red K-Code GT automatic coupe with luxury interior, with VIN 6R07K185XXX.

Please find attached a couple of photos, and I would like to talk more.

regards

Anthony

20210827_114604 - Copy_LI.jpg

20220118_101715.jpg

• Hey guys, sorry have been busy and haven't been here for a few days.

Anthony,

Yes pretty cool and close for sure, my vin is 6R09K16XXXX, with a build date of Feb 10th 66, although we already know mine got delayed during production for some reason. But yes, I have some documentation, but not much. I was able to talk to the original owner on a phone call and recorded him talking about the purchase of the car and his use, and mainly how he hated Pony & Deluxe interior, haha. But yes, bought at Swanson Ford, the plate frames are not original to the car though, I got lucky years and years ago and found a son of one of the managers there that had found brand new plate frames in his dads attic and sold me a set... let me pick the best ones... As far as the car itself, pretty similar, Factory GT automatic Candy Apple Red with Black interior. Lived in Petaluma CA where I bought it from.

And super nice car as well... It looks like because of the white stripe, yours either has white or red interior? Does yours still carry the original HiPo C4?

Thanks,

Jason

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

• Thanks Jason,

Nice to hear you know some of your kar's history right back to the original owner.

I am craving any more U.S. info about my kar, but alas I think the trail's gone cold living here in Oz.

I've always wondered about the white stripe as the interior is black. Someone must have preferred the white when the re-paint occurred, which I think was about 2000.

Yes the drivetrain is pretty much in tact, and still has the 'C' servo C4, which makes our kars a much smaller sub-set than the manual cars.

Going by the k-code registry figures, of the 5,469 k-codes built in 1966, only about 25% were autos, and I think they even made less k-code coupes than fastbacks that year, so it's all very interesting depending how far you want to delve into the numbers. Keeping in mind there are no actual production figures.

Nice to talk.

regards

Anthony20210827_134004.jpg

• Nice and good looking interior. Have you confirmed it's a factory GT or if the GT look was added later? Also would love to see a shot of your C servo cover if you have one in your archives...

Thanks,

Jason

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

• Jason,

Yes pretty confident it's a Factory GT; ie. fog light holes and fog light wiring in factory loom, disc brakes, steering box HCC-AX etc. Last check as Fred advised me was to check for no holes in quarter for ornamentation.

Of course all the dual exhaust stuff is there, eg. reinforced floor hangers and reinforced rear frame rails.

Attached is picture of servo cover. Let me know if you think it's original or not?

regards

Anthony66 HPO Servo cover 'C' .jpg

• Very cool indeed, and yep, proper 66 C-Servo cover, fantastic. Yeah, without documentation and from what I've been told, none of the fog light stuff can be used as documenting a true factory GT. I had to do this with my car because I was in the same boat. Only way from what I've been told in a 66 is to run a plumbers camera from the inside of the car with the carpets out or pulled back down the inside of the rocker panels, if it's smooth and has no filled holes where rocker panel molding was, then it's a true factory GT. I had to do this with mine and was happy to see no previous holes :)

Looks like you have a great car for sure.

Jason

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!