Tasca Drag Mustangs?

• I'm just curious if Tasca ever set up any '65 Mustangs for drag use other than the Tasca sponsored Bill Lawton A/FX car. Say someone in 1965 wanted a Mustang Fastback to drag, could he go to Tasca, buy a car and have them modify it for racing? Thanks,

-Greg

• That's a good question and I would say yes.Bob Tasca was the go to guy back in that day because he was an engineer for Ford and showed them what they could do come race day.Bill Healey was a well known tuner and worked for Bob so I would think that modifying a car to go racing would have been no big deal for them after he started the dealership.Most of the race stuff was contracted out by Ford but would like to know myself who besides the normal 3 companies modified the A/FX and S/S cars.I've got a factory or dealer prepped Hipo Mustang myself and it was done like the A/FX cars almost to the T.I've talked to some backed Drag Council guys and they tell me Ford had a stock class program for the Hipo Mustang but I have found some differences in the cars the way they were set up.

• I'd like to see that Mustang of yours! What modifications were done to it? See I have a clean '65 Fastback that I would like to make into a 100% period correct, lettered drag car, but dont want to go through the work to make a 427 A/FX car (as cool as that would be though). I was thinking a dealer (Tasca) modified 289 car with alot of '65 Shelby equipment and other period corect items (bias cheater slicks, Rader wheels up front, torque thrusts out back, exhaust dumps, lift kit etc...)

• My car is delete of any seam sealer,sound deadner,under coating,radio or heater.Rear suspension has weld on bars and cross member installed in car and came with factory bubble fiberglass hood.Car was special ordered for dealership and was one of the twelve done to compete in stock class racing.AHRA at the time had a F5/GS class that alot of guys ran these cars in.Ed Terry,Bob Hamilton and Billy Edwards were some names that had cars for stock class.They are pretty RARE cars as almost all were fastbacks but coupes were alot lighter and set most of the records and are hard to find today.This car of mine is being restored but is forsale?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!