Early 289 block

• I have a block that is supposed to be a 289 which has a casting number of C3AE 6015N with a date code of 3D22 above the casting number. Does this mean it was cast on 22 Apr 63? When were the first 289's cast?

• You are correct. I have heard of 289 production blocks cast in February. Have not confirmed any production blocks in January. There were prototype blocks before that. All 1963 production 289 blocks (regular or HiPo) are C3AE-6015-N. There were a few C4OE-6015-C blocks that got into very late (July 63) 1963 production Galaxies.

• I keep seeing people say that the HiPo block is no different from the standard 289 block but back in the 60's I remember that the HiPo blocks were produced only for solid lifters and did not contain provisions for hydraulic lifters. Does anyone else remember this or am I senile?

• Not true. The 289 HiPo blocks were the same -- no block modifications (other than mains). Oil still went to each lifter, into the lifter, and up through the push rods. The Ford blueprints for the 289 HiPo list the dye-penetrant inspection and the heavy-duty main bearing caps, but everything else was "SAME AS", then listed the engineering number for the standard 289.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!