World Class T5 transmissions

• I'd like to hear your experience with the WC-T5's. This is the one and only modification I'm considering making during the restoration of my '67 F/B, and will keep the original 4 speed, bellhousing and any attendant parts boxed up for later reinstallation, if needed.

I have 3.50 rear gears and turn 3,000 RPMs at 70 mph, which in CA frequently relegates you to the slow lane! (At least where I live...)

I'm wondering about the 2.95 versus 3.35 first gear. It would seem to me the 2.95 would be preferable; I believe this is the newer version (T5-Z?) and I will be 100% street-driven. But, I would like to hear your opinion.

If this has already been discussed in another thread, please direct me, and my apologies for not finding it myself!

Thanks - Chris

• The 2.95 FRPP T-5(z) is stronger and would work better with 3.50 or higher rear. The 3.35 T-5 was designed to compensate for the high 2.73 or 3.08 rears in the 5.0 Mustangs. Torque rating on the 3.35 WC was about 265(early) to 300(late) ft/lbs. The FRPP 2.95 is rated about 330 ft/lbs and includes other internal upgrades.

Heres a link that explains in more detail.

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm

• Thanks for the information -- I was leaning towards the 2.95 and now will go in that direction. I always appreciate the help/insight of the folks on this site!

Chris

• Hey Chris,

I have had a WC T5 in my 65 Fastback for about 12 years now. When I was 1st restoring it was about the time California Pony Cars came out with the conversion and, since the toploader was toast, I went with it. The only regret I have now is I traded the 4-speed for the T5 and all the gear for conversion. thought I'd had a win at the time....still, live & learn.

As for the car, still drives fantastic! Recently drove a mate's A-code 66 with a toploader (he drove mine) and we both came away preferring to drive the T5.

Best you hang onto your original parts though....

• I'm definitely hanging onto everything; the original Toploader, bell housing, shifter, and anything else swapped out will be carefully stored at home. Looking forward to having my "K" back on the road this year.

Cheers!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!