Disk Rotors & Pads

• I am committed to keeping my stock size as opposed to the Granada upgrade for my front disks but would like to go for more current technology.

Has anyone had any experience with the drilled and/or slotted rotors? Currently I am looking at SSB's Big Bite or EBC's Sport.

The question on the brake pads to go with the rotors looks to be between EBC's YellowStuff and Porterfield's R-4 compound pads.

Has anyone tried any of these or maybe something else I should be looking at?

Thx

jim

• assuming all is stock on your car. cobra automotive has some race compound pads that fit the kelsey hays calipers and they sell a real nice set of steel braided brake lines, front and one rear. i have these on my car and i noticed a little better braking ability.

cobra auto is a great shop, the people there are great and would recommend all them to anyone.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I am committed to keeping my stock size as opposed to the Granada upgrade for my front disks but would like to go for more current technology.

Has anyone had any experience with the drilled and/or slotted rotors? Currently I am looking at SSB's Big Bite or EBC's Sport.

The question on the brake pads to go with the rotors looks to be between EBC's YellowStuff and Porterfield's R-4 compound pads.

Has anyone tried any of these or maybe something else I should be looking at?

Thx

jim

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

consider the ebc red stuff pads. I'm using those and am satisfied. For hard spirited street use they are more than adequate. Also using slotted rotors. On the rear I'm using the Porterfield shoes.

my preferred ebc vendor:

http://www.streetsideauto.com/products.asp?P…&LookupType=YMM

bought the shoes direct from Porterfield:

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/

Z. Ray

Edited by - zrayrichter on 01/21/2009 17:32:34

Edited by - zrayrichter on 01/21/2009 17:33:42

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

cobra automotive has some race compound pads that fit the kelsey hays calipers and they sell a real nice set of steel braided brake lines, front and one rear. i have these on my car and i noticed a little better braking ability.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

hipo_p51,

Thank you for the lead (I have actually dealt with cobra automotive before) and more importantly for the tip on the braided lines. I hadn't considered them, and as you rightly pointed out, I should!

Thx

jim

consider the ebc red stuff pads. I'm using those and am satisfied. For hard spirited street use they are more than adequate. Also using slotted rotors. On the rear I'm using the Porterfield shoes.

zray,

Thanks for the info. I am corresponding with Porterfield to get the correct shoes to fit the rear brakes. I still have my old sintered metallic linings - not much use anymore but a hell of a keepsake.

I'm up in the air about the EBC Red vs Yellow (or go Porterfield all around).

If I may ask, whose slotted rotors did you use?

jim

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

zray,

Thanks for the info. I am corresponding with Porterfield to get the correct shoes to fit the rear brakes. I still have my old sintered metallic linings - not much use anymore but a hell of a keepsake.

I'm up in the air about the EBC Red vs Yellow (or go Porterfield all around).

If I may ask, whose slotted rotors did you use?

jim

I bought my rotors from a local guy who does internet business under the name of:

http://www.discbrakeswap.com/

Although I have no problems with his service or parts, If I were buying now, I would also check out the ebc rotors listed below. They may, or may not be of a higher quality. Also, I don't know if the ebc rotors are the commonly reproduced 1 piece rotors with the bearing race. Or if the picture of them on the ebc website is accurate, and they are a two piece design:

2 Parts Found

Part # Description

GD7173 Rotor; 3GD EBC Sport; Set of Two; Front; 11.3 in. Dia.;

UPR7173 Rotor; Ultimax Replacement; Each; Front; 11.3 in. Dia.;

The Porterfield pads I used were the listed on the

porterfield invoice as:

"...shoe 169 R4-S

R4-S not for race track use...."

I am also using a braided stainless brake lines sourced from NPD. Part number 2078-14A

I also bought new brake drums from rockauto.com But I don't know if they are still available from them.

hope this info is helpful

Z. Ray

Edited by - zrayrichter on 01/22/2009 09:44:55

hope this info is helpful

Z. Ray

Z. Ray

You are always helpful on all the forums I've seen you on. And (as always)I want to thank you again for the info.

jim

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!