WeberCarb info sought

• I'm considering putting a Weber carb induction on my GT-350. I really would like to gather some "real life" experiences beforehand from those who have gone down this path. Anyone who has had personal experiences with this type of set-up, good or bad, please get in touch with me. I am particularly interested in:

1) direct comparisons between the IDA and IDF systems

2) comparisons between the original Cobra parallel manifold type and the the newer "mirror image carb mounting" type of manifold.

3) experiences on small blocks, specifically 289 Hi-Po engines with more or less stock internals.

Z. Ray

zrichter@austin.rr.com

• I had an early Cobra set-up back in the late '70's with 48 IDAs. You have to get the venturi size and the jetting in the ballpark before you ever put them on. You also have dial in the fuel supply to the appropriate pressure. Once you have those two items solved you need to spend time on a chassis dyno with someone who knows the carbs to get them properly jetted. I owned an auto shop at the time and had a Clayton chassis dyno so I was able to do my own, but it took many hours to get them right. Also, recognize that they are fundamentally racing carburetors and are not street, or low rpm, friendly. One last thing; before you ever start the carburetor process make sure your ignition system is dialed in and you have a decent curve in the distributor.

http://www.inglese.com/

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I had an early Cobra set-up back in the late '70's with 48 IDAs. You have to get the venturi size and the jetting in the ballpark before you ever put them on. You also have dial in the fuel supply to the appropriate pressure. Once you have those two items solved you need to spend time on a chassis dyno with someone who knows the carbs to get them properly jetted. I owned an auto shop at the time and had a Clayton chassis dyno so I was able to do my own, but it took many hours to get them right. Also, recognize that they are fundamentally racing carburetors and are not street, or low rpm, friendly. One last thing; before you ever start the carburetor process make sure your ignition system is dialed in and you have a decent curve in the distributor.

http://www.inglese.com/

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Thank for the info, one question; did they stay in tune fairly well?

One fellow I've spoken to who is currently running a 48 IDA's on his GT-350 race car, says he has great low end, idle at 700 rpm, etc. Other tell me to go for 44 or 48 IDF's. As they are more street-able.

I think I've got the ignition system (MSD) and exhaust system (2.5 inch MagaFlo) well sorted out. I've got the original Cobra intake on the engine now with a 1967 date coded 715 cfm Holley. Everything is running about the best it ever has. I'm probably crazy to change anything. But I think I'd enjoy the challenge of getting a Weber set-up just right. I have a few decades experience with multiple carburation (motorcycles), so I think I'm ready fora little experimentation. I did run the vintage Paxton for a couple of years, and I'm torn between the unknown Weber induction & returning to the familiar Paxton supercharger.

Z. Ray

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!