Adding a roll bar to a vert

• Hi,

I was wondering how to make my convertiable safer and thought a roll bar would be a good choice. I have added headrests and 3 point steat belts already. I still feel like the windshield pilliars would buckel in a roll over. Anyone know if they would hold up? I want to be able to get a hair cut for a few more years. Is there a 2 point (tapered Shelby style) roll bar available for a '66? I did see one on ebay a few months ago on a '66. I'm sure the 4 point round bar would be safer but anything other than the windshild pillars would be safer.

Thx! Walt

• The rollbar I have in my '66 is an original '68 Shelby 'vert bar, but the reproduction convertible bars are made to the same dimensions. The '68 Shelby rollbar will identically fit any 65(64 1/2)-68 chassis. The base of the bar rests in the oval cut-out of the triangular brace at the base of the door post (it's hidden buy the quarter panel assy). The oval hole was opened up by bending the interior edge up, the bar inserted, and the bar welded as much as possible to the triangular brace. The original bars were also welded to the sheet tin about 18 inches up from there. Since I wanted my bar for appearance sake, I left the bottom unwelded, and welded a tab further up which I bolted through the tin of the body panel. It's solidly in place, but not for safety's rqmts. Besides the rollbar you'll need the interior quarter panels, an extension to the window crank shaft, and a sheet-metal support brace that supports and centers the end of the shaft extension, as well as keeps the fiberglass (reproduction) / plastic (original) qurter panel properly spaced and seated.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!