4th gear in Toploader??

• My car has been restored for over 2 years now, and just last week I took it for a short drive enough to finally get it into 4th gear.

The shift from 3rd to 4th is kind of weird feeling-there is no real resistance between 3rd and neutral or between neutral and 4th...I have no good/real way right now to raise the car up enough to slide under it to have a look.

My trans was completely gone through by David Kee as my car was being restored so by rights it should be ok.

My shifter was rebuilt/restored by Bill Heeley so IT should be ok.

My trans was opened up and disassembled by my restorer so it could be P&O finished, then reassembled........Any ideas on whats going on? I DO have 4th gear but it feels very limp and not crisp like the other gears.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I would check the shifter mount bolts and the shifter adjustment also , after a first run it may need adjustment.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Thanks! I will check the shifter first.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Any difference between moving at speed and going through the gears inside your garage?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

No, There is not.

I have been doing some thinking on this and I do remember having this same thing happen MANY years ago with my very first Mustang after it had been rode hard and been put up wet way before there was anyone restoring them-it turned out to be either loose mounting bolts or a VERY worn shifter I can't remember which......gotta get it up in the air and have a look-see.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!