doofus - please help me get my car started again

• I detailed the bay and when I re-hooked up the wires, I made a bad mistake - My '65 has non-stock wiring, and I mistakenly hooked up a ground wire to the positive (opposite side of the Neg bat wire) side of the solonoid in addition to the hook up that's supposed to be there to the engine block front bolt. When I attempted to hook up the neg terminal of the bat, sparks went flying and solder was flinging around. I was lucky enough to get it off quickly, but I may have damaged something? The battery wires were hot, and I smelled a burning type smell (probably from the battery posts...)

I re-looked at my diagrams, I realized the error I made and connected that ground wire back with the other engine block ground as per my pre-dissaembly pictures. I've double and triple checked all my connections, but can't get the car to turn over. Here's what I've done:

I charged the battery, but still no change - get a click sound on the voltage reg when I turn the key to "start" but that's it. I then used the battery from my other car (in case my battery was damaged) and the battery cables and still no change. I replaced the Solonoid and no change, I replaced the voltage regulator and no change.

What else can I do to isolate this problem? Did I fry the whole wiring harness or starter? My lights all work correctly, heater fan, radio, but no start.

Any help is appreciated!

Troy

• 'cuz the first 2 went BAD! What a time waster - I also replaced the battery cables - but that alone did not do the trick, either.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

'cuz the first 2 went BAD! What a time waster - I also replaced the battery cables - but that alone did not do the trick, either.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I hope you could return those bad parts for some credit. That can get expensive otherwise.

Z. Ray

• The 1st solenoid was working on the same car before I took it apart. The second was an older one I had laying around that was working when I removed it from my other car last year. You can see why I was hesitant to accept that a third solenoid would work, but it did the trick!

I just put one on that I got at O'Reillys so I could put my concours correct repo back on my convertible. It looks identical to my $40 concours reproduction without the FoMoCo stamp and different lock washers on the side posts. It also has a "Made in the USA" engraving at the top. It was $20. I haven't fired it up yet, but lets hope it still works (:

• Well, I took it around the block a few times last night and all is well. Now I have the dreaded lower radiator hose leak at the water pump. Gotta love that (: Of course the hardest one to reach into is the one that leaks! I must have gotten too much paint in that hose area as the worm clamp is tight.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!