need 9" expert advice

• thinking about changing my 4.56 gears out for something around 3.89 and was told by 1 guy that I may need to replace the carrier (?) because gears over or under a certain ratio have pinion gears of a size that can't be compensated for by the adjustments. Is that true for the 9" or is that a Dana thing?

• Never heard of such a thing with a 9"? There is a ton of adjustment in a 9" rear end with the side spanner nuts to adjust backlash.

Pinion depth is set with shims behind the pinion support bearing. And we are talking adjustments in thousands of an inch for big changes in the marking pattern.

Let me put it another way...If you were to order a new bare carrier from Currie, Strange, Reider, etc. they would not ask you to specify for what gear ratio. 2.73 to 5.13...and anything in between to the best of my knowledge.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

or is that a Dana thing?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

It's a Chevy thing.

Larry

• I never heard of it (for a 9") either that's why I posted. All I have ever done is swap 3rd members out, never built one. That guy did get back to me as well and said it wasn't a Ford thing. thanks for the replies.

• Are you planning on building one yourself, or swapping 3rd members?

Changing gears isn't rocket science, but experience and finese really helps (knowing what to look for).

Whatever you do, make sure you break in a new gear set properly. That is where 90% of the people with read end noise have their problems, even if it is set up perfectly. Taking it out and "trying it out" to see how fast it goes now will waste a new gear set.

Richmond has an excellant letter on proper Break-In.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!