1967 whitewall tires

• Nearing the end of a long restoration process on my '67K GT F/B and would like some opinions on tire size. I know this has been the subject of a lot of posts - I've tried to read them all, but didn't find an answer to my question, so here goes:

I want to use the style steel wheels and narrower (or pin?) whitewalls, since that appears to be what was used in 1967, at least based on the factory promotional photos, no? I am considering either 14 x 6 with 205/70/14 or 14 x 7 and 215/70/14 as I'm not sure a 215/70 would fit that well on a 14" rim. I considered going with the Coker correct style bias ply tires for the sake of originality, but I do plan to drive my car, so radial tires are a necessity.

I would like to hear whether based on experience and aesthetics one is preferable to the other, and also which of the narrower whitewall tires, if any you have been happy with. I'm also not sure of the correct width of the whitewall for 1967; I see the BF Goodrich Silvertowns in a 3/8", but at $200+ a tire, that seems a bit excessive. I considered going with RWL or Redlines, but my car is Wimbledon white and IMHO looks good with the thinner WW tires.

Thanks!

Chris

• Chris,

Not exactly an answer to your question, but I ordered a new '67 fastback GT back in the day (S code). It came with Firestone wide oval white walls (don't remember the size). There was a recall in '67 to have the wheel well beads reshaped inwards to prevent tire rub (may have been just the fronts). Mine definately were rubbing and were tearing into the tire sidewall.

Wayne

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!