Pinion Bumper Rebound Plate Location

• I'm in the process of replacing the 8" rear axle on my '66 fastback with a 9" and need location info of the Pinion Rebound Plate before installing the 9" Hipo rear end. I have the correct complete 9" axle and driveshaft.

I have a repro Pinion Rebound Plate and I've seen photos of an actual installed plate, but need to know the precise location for welding.

Is there a template(or can anyone provide the exact measurements from a couple reference points) to correctly position the Pinion Rebound Plate for welding to the floor pan above the 9" rear axle's nose?

The Rebound Plate gives the rubber "Snubber" bumper (mounted on the shield bolted to the axle assembly) something to bump against when hitting potholes, other than thin sheet metal.

Is there enough space to weld in the Rebound Plate after the 9" axle housing assembly is installed or must it be welded beforehand?

Any help will be appreciated.

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 03/31/2011 00:57:12

• The "correct" set up will be to remove the rubber bumper from the floor and buy a repop C3 bumper from Jim at Shelby Parts in Wisconsion. This bumper bolts to the top of the axle platee rear end.

• Thanks for the info!

Being a repro floorpan, there is nothing currently attached to the underside of the floor above the axle. I already have the rubber "Snubber" bumper (mounted on the shield bolted to the 9" axle assembly). I also have the repro Rebound Plate (purchased from Tony Branda).

My inquiry relates solely to the precise location of the Rebound Plate that needs to be welded above the rubber bumper.

So, is there a template(or can anyone provide the exact measurements from a couple reference points) to correctly position the Rebound Plate for welding to the floor pan above the 9" rear axle's nose?

Also, is there enough space to weld in the Rebound Plate after the entire 9" axle housing assembly is installed or must it be welded beforehand?

I appreciate your help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!