• Thanks, let me know what you have? I've checked Summit and some of the local parts houses, they all have 289 valve seals but don't list any thing specific for the hipo heads.

• I wasn't aware that the seals themselves were any different from a standard 289 to a HIPO 289, I know when my heads were rebuilt that the shop used the seals that were in the major engine overhaul gasket set....

• 63, 64, 65 and 66 valve stem seals are Hipo specific with a part number of C3OZ 6571 B. The 67 Hipo only version is a C3OZ 6571 C. Surprisingly enough Ford did not list either a valve gring gasket set or a complete engine gasket set for a Hipo for any year.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Well, I dug through all the junk in my garage and came up with 3 different sets. The ones that were on the heads are approx. .76 O.D. and .60 tall, the others were .86 O.D./.70 HT and .86/.42. I'm sure these all came with small block gasket sets, fellpro, etc. Are the C3OZ sets still available or a suitable substitute or will any of the above be OK??

• Official Post

Terry, If you really want the correct NOS originals, I can come up with them. I have always used standard seals with no issues. Your only concern would be to make sure that the seals that you use clear the inner harmonic suppressor valve spring that the Hipo has and standard engines do not.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Fred, thanks for the reply. I will go ahead and use a set of the seals I have. Looks like they all clear the inner spring but will go with the narrow ones to be safe. Thanks for all the information, as always, it's much appreciated.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!