Side Rail Foam Tape: Source?

• I'm searching for a source for the foam tape, 1" wide x about 1/8" thick, that is located between the side rail mouldings. The original foam tape I pulled off the the molding seemed to only have adhesive on one side (attached to the lower molding. Parts houses like NPD don't stock it, but recommend Scotch/3M 1" wide double sided adhesive foam tape. I think using double sided adhesive tape would make installation difficult. Anyone got a recommendations?

Thanks in advance..

Matt

• That's what I've always used is the 3M one inch tape.The install can be painful if you've ever did it before so take my advice if you don't want to really ruin the stainless trim.Take the back off the tape and stick it to the stainless piece and leave the back on the side that goes against the car.Install will be alot easier and you can get it in the right place.If not all you'll do is make a mess of paint and trim plus the taped side you'll never know it's there once the trim screws are put in!

• Anyone ever use 3M "4508 vinyl foam"? 1/8 inch thickness in various widths is available, but is super, super expensive. It's closed cell single sided adhesive foam, for automotive use for sealing between uneven surfaces.

I can't think of another location on the '65 Mustang I'm restoring where this type of foam is used.

• I used foam tape made by Armacell, bought at Home Depot. It's 2" wide, 1/8" thick, black with an adhesive back. You will have to cut it to the width you need. Worked out just fine for me. Costs about $7.00 for a 30 ft. roll.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!