body stripping

• Hi fella's, just after some feedback on two types of body stripping. One is Media blasting and the other is an alkaline solution to remove rust and paint from a car [ in my case a 65 Aussie Futura coupe]. I am aware that media blasting can damage the panels dependant upon the media and operater. How about dropping the body into an alkaline solution? i.e http://minuspaint.com.au/ is the company I am thinking of using here in Adelaide. This system must be in use in the USA. Has anybody used this type of process before and what was the result? Successful or a disaster once the paint goes on. I have been told by a media blaster the solution leeches out and affects your paintwork later on from the seams.

Any thoughts or experiences are much appreciated. Cheers Zed.

• The only problem with dipping is that the solution gets between welded panels and is hard to get out. It also removes ALL sound deadener and seam sealer. You'll end up spending up to $300-500 to put all the seam sealer and sound deadener back on the car with a quality product. Be careful what parts you dip. I don't do hoods and trunk lids and it removes the bonding agent between the upper and lower portions of the panels. E-coating after dipping is recommended.

Generally, though, if the car is solid, you really don't want to dip it. If it's very rusty and requires a lot of panel replacement, dipping would be best. Media blast will not warp panels if done correctly.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!