Camshaft spacer and thrust plate

• Which version do you have?

Ford had 2 versions of the cam plate - one for engine rev L7 and earlier & one for L8 and later.

The earlier syle was thicker and used the weird figure eight or hour glass counter sunk screws. It also uses the "C" spacer for the cam gear. The later style is flat and uses grade 8 hex headed bolts. It has the spacer cast into the cam gear. This change over happen sometime in late spring '65.

My early March K engine had the earlier style - but I am switching it over to the later style for easy installation - plus it doesn't show.

Make sure you use the correct cam gear once you make a choice - see many posts on this by me and others here.

I found a good used later style cam plate on eBay - any 289/302 will work - and I also bought a new aftermarket one from a machine shop. I've also seen used early style ones on eBay from time to time. You can get the correct bolts - either style - from AMK.

• my engine is a december of 1964..I really dont care..I want the easy way out..lol!! but i read something about different timing chains..I'm getting confused rapidly about this..so i thought all the k engines used thinner chains because of the hatchet on the crankshaft..?? I just want someone to tell me what is the easiest way to go..Thanks for your reply!!

• FYI - do a search on timing chain or timing gears and you'll find what you need - but long story short....the only HiPo unique part is the CRANK GEAR because of the counter weight. Cam gear and chain are regular 289.

Your engine should have the weird counter sunk bolt / thicker cam thrust plate - just like my March '65 engine. You can replace the thrust plate and upper gear with the later style and be set.

Edited by - RalphJr on 01/17/2007 18:03:40

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!