MUFFLERS INSTALLED BACKWARDS?

• Will mufflers only work one way or will the work if installed backwards? On my new hipo, the muffler offset opening faces the engine and the center opening goes to the rear. From pictures I have seen this is not right. As a result the rear rubber brake line is too close to the pipe. The previous owner used a tie wrap around the hose and emergency cable to bring the hose away from the pipe. The engine runs well and the exhaust seems to be operating ok. Do I need to turn the mufflers around? Thanks, Ed

• Depends on what kind of muffler is on your car. The chambered type mufflers like Flomasters are flow direction specific and have their inlet and outlet clearly marked. Some turbo type mufflers can be installed either way while other turbo's do have a specific inlet and outlet. I'm surprised the pipes on your car were able to be lined up if they were installed in a reverse mode.

Jack

• Exhaust kit is a stock replacement that was bought from CJ Pony by the previous owner. The drivers side tailpipe is at an angle to the point where the stock trumpet hanger could not be used. Some dumbo welded a bracket to the trumpet pipe and attached it to a gas tank mounting screw. Also, the pipes coming from the H pipe are too close to the driveshaft.

• If it were my car, I would take the time and make the effort to do the system right - hopefully the whole system has not been welded together. Something like that would personally, drive me nuts and any good muffler shop shold be able to correct this for a reasonable charge if you are not going to do it yourself. Good Luck

Jack

• Brought the Kar to my buddy Pat at Midas Sat. morn. Dissasembled the exhaust system and reinstalled it correctly. Now the brake line is safely away from the pipe without the help of a tie wrap. Only problem was that the mufflers don't have the brackets on them for the hangers. Temporarily spot welded the hanger to the muffler. hope I can buy just the brackets and weld them on. If not, gotta get new mufflers with correct brackets. Hate to have to do that though. Current mufflers are new. Thanks for your feedback...Ed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!