66 GT 350 aluminum T-10

• For sale: T-10 Borg Warner 4 speed for a 1966 GT 350. Completely restored with less than 100 miles on it. Main case only is aluminum, tail shaft housing is cast iron. Main case cast on 7-27-65, assembled M 21 5 2 (Dec 21 1965, shift #2). Was in my 65 until I swapped it out for correctly dated early 1965 T-10. $7800 plus shipping. Paul @ 817-691-0159.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

how hard is it to find the tail shaft?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

many of the '66 GT-350's came from the factory with the iron tailshaft.

Z. Ray

'66 GT-350

• I had a lime green '67 GT-350 with a top loader, vin stamped on it and the pan rail, pure san jose

'65 Gt-350 at Tony's shop, yesterday, was pure T-10M plus pod on the dash

Were the '66's detuned on the exhaust, Hertz cars, over-ride bars, re-location points, truck M/C and full top loaders + plexiglass windows?

cast iron T-10's in early cars were pure junk and ended-up on the ground or deck, with good tires and side steping the clutch

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

.......Were the '66's detuned on the exhaust, Hertz cars, over-ride bars, re-location points, truck M/C and full top loaders + plexiglass windows?........

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

what's the question ?

• I never saw a T-10m in a Hertz car or a non-left over, have you?

top loader just like my Lime Light'67, what's the unit number?

on the fender tag and T-10M?

Kopec knows the cut-off on the early cars

2 questioons, could be 3?

rick

SSC

SCJ

L-78 SS

• I stand corrected, Rick and Tony, said '66's should have T-10M's, as all '65's.

Unfortunately many coucours GT-350's, at national shows, are missing them. They now have top loaders in their place.

Info on '67 is correct.

No such animal as 1/2 M-series and 1/2 plain jane cast iron... at that point, conversation was over.

gears are 9510 as well BW coded, east to see,

before the hang-up

Inventory = 3, in stock

rick

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>..........

No such animal as 1/2 M-series and 1/2 plain jane cast iron... at that point, conversation was over.......

rick

1997 SAAC Registry, page 431...

"Transmission (1966): Standard on the early cars was the Borg Warner T-10-M with close ratio gears and aluminum case and rear housing. By mid-production, cars received aluminum cases and cast iron rear housings or cast iron cases with aluminum rear housings. After approx. car #1500, most cars received transmissions with a cast iron case and rear housing. Optional transmission was the Ford C-4 high performance automatic."

So you see, during the 1966 production run of GT-350's, every possible combination of aluminum & iron cases was used in the T-10-M transmissions from the factory. All would be considered concours correct depending on which was originally installed.

My serial number is 1117, and has the original Borg Warner T-10-M with an aluminum case and iron rear housing, as delivered from the factory.

Z. Ray

'66 GT-350

• Gary:

I'd jump on that aluminum T-10M tail housing, unless it was dated coded and then months away. Which I doubt?

All aluminum is more salable and at a much higher dollar value.

You will not see many of those housings with any of the large Shelby dealers.

rick

• I suppose you are right, if the SAAC published it.

I suppose the 50 or more GT-350's, track and shop floor, and the few R's: were 1499 and down,

Tony his seen quadruple, same deal + his very rare GT-350 is all aluminum.

I do know in '68, '69 and '70 TRANS AM Fords ran the same 4 speed. Readily available and in all the cars.

No one ran anything cast iron, except Gurney one year with his AAR car and he complained about the 140 pound cast iron piece of Hemi over-kill.

I had a tunnel port and I still have the 2.43 all aluminun T-10M, Daytona model, that a 427 could not blow-up in Saddle River storage.

That's all aluminum as well or I would not have bought it from Holmon & Moody with the '68 Tunnel Port engine

Same deal with Holmon-Moody, he had them for sale as well as Bud Moore. Well into the '70's. They actually had another name for the T-10M.

I use it as G & G was very precise when ordering new gears or clusters.

Don't confuse the factory with Ford, never happened, sub-contracted. LA airport was the closest factory to Ford and T-10M

All the scrape aluminun and junked; from racing or amaeteur GT-350 owners pounding in the trans: were main case & tail housing aluminum T-10M's.

I saw dozens in both examples, broken main cases on the former and broken ears on the latter. Must have been 1499 and down?

Also G & G has been making a simple $10.00 part that helps T-10M and later series, Super T-10's survive, for 3 decades. Nascar has them installed. SAAC should add a few words and link.

Cast iron T-10's are another story, very weak, I'd be looking at 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear in your car for the 9510 alloy or expect the worst, when you least expect it.

Trailer queens exempted or buy Paul's for 7.8K or mine for 20K, Tunnel Port is free.

rick

SSC

SCJ

L-78 SS Camaro - slow ones

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!