• Hello,

I just joined the forum. I am actually looking for a Mustang that was in my family.

My Uncle was a car enthusiast in the 60's, and a Ford man. He ordered a Brand New 1967 Mustang GT.

He lived outside of Detroit Michigan in 1967 when he ordered it.

The story goes....

He couldn't get a Shelby GT350 and didn't want a GT500 with the 428. (apparently he didn't know about the 427 at the time). This was one of MANY new cars he ordered through a family member.

So, he ordered a Detroit built GT350.

It was Blue (Acapulco or Night Mist), a fastback, GT "K" code, Black deluxe interior, upper and lower console, 4 speed, Fold Down seat, Wooden wheel, Special suspension, and maybe 8 track.

He ordered it near the beginning of the model year... when his sister ordered a Green V8 coupe.

The coupe came in and was delivered (first 1967 mustang to get a speeding ticket the night before the dealer release)

By December, no Fastback. February, March, April, etc.... no fastback.

Then he was told that the HiPo was discontinued... still no car. His Dad worked for Ford in Detroit, but they were not on good terms. Nonetheless, he tried to see what he could do.

By Summer, STILL no fastback.

I am under the impression that the car was delivered in July or August 1967.

It was Blue with White Shelby stripes (added before or after delivery), a "K" code, 4 speed, black deluxe interior, etc, etc.....

It apparently, also had "Cobra" emblems on the front fenders.. added or maybe I've heard of the dealer "Cobra package".

He lost the car in a divorce a few years later.

It has to be a pretty RARE mustang. With 480 odd '67 HiPo's built... this one was a factory ordered Shelby without the CSX and fiberglass. How many HiPos were fastbacks ordered like a generic Shelby?

I was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about this car.... remembers it in the Ann Arbor, Detroit area.... or maybe OWNS this car.

The best I can guess.... it's a 7F02K1xxxxx But could have been Metuchen or San Jose..... more than likely Dearborn though (not sure because it sounds like it was NEAR impossible to get a 1967 "K'.

It was probably a late production car and may have been in the last run.

Marti can't do too much without a complete VIN?

BUT.... I figure.. 480 +/- GT "K" codes. (does that include the scca coupes, etc?)

How many were coupes and convertibles? Leaves how many fastbacks?

How many BLUE GT fastbacks?

How many Auto vs. 4 speed?

So I figure... maybe 100 or less blue "K" fastbacks...

Then the options break down farther.... I guess my point is... there can't be more than a dozen of them made. So one of those might be my Uncles Mustang? Comes down to Factory and Build date?

I have been thinking about it off and on since I was a little kid.... there you have it.......... Let's see if technology can help.

I have seen dog eared photos, but that's about it. Guess I just always wondered.

Anybody?

• Ther is no such animal as a "Generic" Shelby, they were made in batches, and only at San Jose until the end of 67. Entirely possible that he had a K GT, all gussied up with dealer add ons, etc.

FYI - CSX was for Cobras only, SFM was for 65 & 66 Shelby, then various # schemes afterwards. Since K's were discontinued, perhaps a dealer went out of the way and brought one in from another district?

If you have pix, please post them, it might help us solve the riddle.

Mike

• Thanks.

I know that it wasn't any kind of Shelby. The truth of the matter, it was probably the same price if not more expensive than a GT350... with all of the options.

I am sure that it was "dressed up" at the dealership or after.

I am a little rusty on Shelby's... You are correct CSX is Cobra. SFM for Shelby Mustang. Also, the Vin would Likely be 7f02K2xxxxx as a late production car.

It was a notorious car in the greater detroit area near Brighton and Ann Arbor. It also may have seen some dragstrip action at detroit Dragway or Milan.

Just figured I would try to track it down as my Uncle, the original owner has terminal cancer. I'll try to come up with a photograph.

BTW: I think the dealership was in Brighton... Wes Waterberry or Waterford, was the family salesman. The dealership is gone as of 15+ years ago.

Thanks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!