shipping/receiving large items

• How does one go about shipping items like engine blocks, transmissions, etc? Do you contact a freight service and have them take care of everything? Do you crate items for shipment and have them picked up? Do you drop the items off at a freight service? UPS/FEDEX?

• It will cost more if the item is picked up at your house and delivered to the recipient's house. Otherwise, you'll need to put the item(s) on a pallet and take them to the terminal. Check with UPS/FedEx as they may offer oversize shipping for some items.

• Two things to remember when shipping truck freight. Residential delivery is extra and also generally requires liftgate service which is also extra. Make sure you ask whoever you are shipping to if they require either or both of these services before quoting a shipping cost. Least expensive is terminal to terminal but that isn't always possible or feasible. It is also extra if you require liftgate service at the point of origin.

You can call a local terminal for freight quotes or there are online services like http://www.freightquote.com that may give you better rates but beware of the additional charges mentioned above.

Generally you are expected to have your shipment palleted and ready to go.

• I shipped a complete rear axle today, drum to drum. I built a pallet for it, which was not that bad or expensive, and took it to a nearby freight terminal. The buyer sent me the bill of lading paperwork all filled out including a business "ship to" (where he works) and specifying collect payment. It could not have been easier for me, and went very smoothly. AAA Cooper was the carrier, BTW.

I also shipped a transmission a few months ago and just boxed it (after bolting down to a sheet of plywood). It was striking how different the shipping charges were for this heavy item. From my area, DHL was a little more than 1/2 of UPS.

Edited by - rockhouse66 on 03/26/2008 16:47:32

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!