Hipo carb and Distributor tag question

• on 65 289 hipo vehicles, was there always a small metal ID tag on the carb and on the distributor?

I have seen many carbs with tags,

but dont recall ever seeing the same type of tag but with the distributor part number and date on the distributor

• Ford 2V (2100-A series*) and 4V (4100-A series**) carburetors in the mid to late 1960s all had assembly tags with the engineering number, design level, and year-month-week of manufacture.

Ignition distributors in new 1960s cars were die stamped on their main bodies with their engineering number and date code so had no identification tags.

* There was a Ford Motor Company designed Holley® made 2V carburetor made for flat head Ford engines under as a 2100 Series model long before the Ford 2100-A Series. The two designs are very different in design appearance and parts. Some functional parts in 1960s Ford carburetors were ones that evolved from carburetors for flat head Fords decades before.

** As I know them and think I understand them, the 4100 Series was created by Ford to use instead of the Ford-Holley 4000 Series in the mid-1950s. The very first Ford 4100 models share features with some of the first Ford-Holley 4150/4160 carburetors, including removable brass plugs in the sides of fuel bowls to inspect fuel levels while the engines were idling. By the 1960s the 4100-A Series had evolved a lot with many subsystem design changes.

Dan

Edited 5 times, last by Dan Case: add detail (April 15, 2024 at 10:20 PM).

• New
    • Official Post

There are Ford Motorcraft C5OF 12127 E Hipo 289 dual point distributors produced in the mid 1980's that were cobbled up from single point castings. There are no stamping numbers on the casting and they have a cover plate over the casting where the vacuum advance diaphragm mounts. There is a distributor ID tag attached with one of the screws holding the cover plate to the distributor. My thought is that Ford ran out of dual point castings and decided to not produce the dual point castings anymore. This modification to a single point casting most likely saved Ford time and money. These modified distributors were the last "hurrah" for the Hipo 289 dual point distributor.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Ok thanks for the replies.

I have a tag that reads just like you see it here, so this date of 4M19 is 1984 Dec 19th??

4M 19

C5OF

E

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!