1965 Fastback - VIN - 5R09K140939 Cant Find Reliable VIN History - No Records

• Righto,

A pleasure to become a very new member to this esteemed group of individuals.

Going to be very honest from the outset, whilst based in the UK, I have dreamt about owning a classic 1st gen mustang for 20 or so years. This means I've been tracking the sale and history of elite vehicles for some years.

Now that didn't mean that a glass or two of red wine didn't sway (negate) my due diligence in a recent purchase.

So I have purchased a 1965 fastback - non running from a salvage auction - VIN 5R09K140939

I can find no records of the vehicle from any of the historical websites.

Vehicle is currently located in Texas - I do not yet have access to the door plate details.

Body wise looks to be in an older restored condition - body straight and in Honey Gold Poly paint - interior needs updating but not a tip. No idea of engine bay or engine condition(?)

My enthusiasm got the better and I do not know if it's numbers matching or original, though of course I do very much hope so.

I have a number of questions and can of course post pictures to the forum.

Hoping that members here can enlighten me. I'm a purist at heart so want to keep completely original to the nut an bolt where I can.

I do have to ship to the UK, though feels like a bit of a betrayal to take the vehicle out of the US.

Initially can members please advise if there is a reliable VIN history website that I can purchase vehicle history from?

I'm also very keen to deliver the vehicle to a trusted mustang garage in Texas for an initial inspection report. Can members advise where to go to? The basis of this will determine if warranting staying in the US (Completely original) or worthy of shipping to the UK (a bit of a mongrel).

I would genuinely appreciate your feedback.

image.png

Kind regards

Peter

• Welcome to the madness Peter, you’re certainly in the right place, lots of friendly, knowledgeable people on here. I’m based in the UK too, I have a ’67 fastback k code 4 speed. Good luck with your Kar.
    John.

• John (67Kcode)

a pleasure and thank you for introducing yourself.

I'm swallowing hard on an internet purchase BUT believe in the outcome. These cars are incredible.

I just need as much guidance as I can to help save a legendary vehicle and keep my trousers.

Peter

• Congratulations! Exciting times ahead. You won’t need to purchase a history from a website as everything that is available is available for free for the 1965 model year. A quick search will show you good VIN and body tag decoders. 1967 and newer Fords can get more in depth paid reports from Kevin Marti. Those aren’t available due to the paperwork (stats, etc.) being lost or destroyed for earlier model years.

I have a contact in Texas who location-dependent could look at the car. He owns a K convertible and is an ex-Holley employee from the day with a vast understanding of the early cars. Please PM me for more.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!