Hello all, newbie from Pacific Northwest

• I brought home the 65 K-code 2+2 that had a lead on. I'm very happy with it, very straight and clean; a really nice driver. I verified the VIN on the engine block. The trans had been replaced with a Tremec T5. Other upgrades include a dual chamber master cylinder and power booster on the original K-H disk brakes, and power steering. There's also under-rider traction bars and Koni shocks. The distributor mechanical advance was frozen so I am soaking it in some penetrating oil right now. I found a friend to check the registry in V4 of the Tony Gregory HP Mustang book and it's not listed. My garage is full!

20230713_101710_web.jpg20230713_101724_web.jpg20230713_122617_web.jpg20230713_122626_web.jpg

• Official Post

Welcome to the Kommunity. You have a great driver Kar there,

What rear end gearing do you have?

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Welcome to the Kommunity. You have a great driver Kar there,

-Fred-

Fred - I counted turns (it's an open diff) and determined that it's 3.89. That's way too low for the T5 since it has low first and second ratios. I am going to put a 3.50 back in it (original ratio according to the door tag) and see how that feels. Getting a few other things sorted but it's running pretty well!

• Welcome to the Kommunity. You have a great driver Kar there,

-Fred-

Fred - I counted turns (it's an open diff) and determined that it's 3.89. That's way too low for the T5 since it has low first and second ratios. I am going to put a 3.50 back in it (original ratio according to the door tag) and see how that feels. Getting a few other things sorted but it's running pretty well!

Jim, Your change from 3.89 to 3.50 is not going to make as much difference as you might like. A jump to 3.25 or 3.00 should accomplish what you are seeking regarding first and second gear. I am unclear as to the first and second gear ratios in the T5 transmission however I would first just try starting off in second gear to see how that feels. With the 3.89, that may feel right as first gear and you have not had to crawl under the car to change the rear end to see the difference. It is easy enough to compute your overall gear ratio if you know the ratios of first and second gear in your T5. By computing the known gear ratios, it is easy to figure out what rear end ratio would be best for what you are seeking.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Thanks for that, Fred. I know 3.50 is a bit of a comprimise. I've had Mustangs with T5s with 3.08 and 3.45 gears before. But I hope someday to locate a proper CR toploader to put back in so I wanted to have the 3.50 to match the original build.

I knew that my current ratio was probably 3.89 simply by seeing what RPM I was turning at 70 MPH in fourth (1:1). My 69 Boss 302 had 3.91 gears and I was very used to cruising at 4000 RPM in that. However, it was a 5 minute job to jack up the rear end, stick my phone under the car facing the driveshaft, spin the rear wheel ten times and watch the video to count driveshaft revolutions. Ezeey peezey ;)

• Thanks for that, Fred. I know 3.50 is a bit of a comprimise. I've had Mustangs with T5s with 3.08 and 3.45 gears before. But I hope someday to locate a proper CR toploader to put back in so I wanted to have the 3.50 to match the original build.

I knew that my current ratio was probably 3.89 simply by seeing what RPM I was turning at 70 MPH in fourth (1:1). My 69 Boss 302 had 3.91 gears and I was very used to cruising at 4000 RPM in that. However, it was a 5 minute job to jack up the rear end, stick my phone under the car facing the driveshaft, spin the rear wheel ten times and watch the video to count driveshaft revolutions. Ezeey peezey ;)

When you are ready for the proper HEH-T transmission, I do have several. Maybe even with your VIN?

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• OK, well, yes! I am ready, especially for numbers matching:exclamation: I had put an ad in lost and found. 5R09K157625.

This HEH-T toploader was replaced by a shop in Southern California in 1999 with a T5 installation. The shop does not have any records (I have invoice from the work done for the PO). I would like to re-unite the VIN correct components!

It was removed in Santa Ana in the late 1999. Shop changed hands and no oldsters are there any more.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!