Markings on Scott Drake Hipo Harmonic Balancer

• I just bought a C3OE-B hipo balancer. The inner hub looks original but the outer ring looks too crisp to be old. It does however have the timing marks and the 2 character date stamp.

Does anyone know if the Scott Drake reproduction has the timing marks and date stamp? Just wondering if they did a swap.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

• The repro balancers that I have seen do not have the date code stamp.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Building a hipo engine for my 65 convertible and am down to assy. I have a Scott Drake balancer and the 2 belt pulley C6OE does not fit. Have you heard of any similar issues?

• Official Post

Building a hipo engine for my 65 convertible and am down to assy. I have a Scott Drake balancer and the 2 belt pulley C6OE does not fit. Have you heard of any similar issues?

I added A/C, which requires a 3 groove pulley to several Hipo Kars. I am surprised that a 2 groove pulley has a similar issue. I just tried a C6OE pulley on an original C5OE balancer and it does not fit there either. The C8ZE replacement harmonic balancer has a larger inside diameter and those pulleys will clear it. What I did was to machine out the inside diameter of original C5OE balancers enough to fit the pulley. This does not affect your balance as you are taking equal material from all parts of the circle.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• 20220513_180927.jpg

Here is build so far, will remove Fram after I break-in engine. I had an extra F4B from my Tiger. Have not verified, but do you know if F4B will clear hood without issues? I used 67 Fairlane thin bakelite spacer. Guess test will be after installation.

Rob

• Official Post

20220513_180927.jpg

Here is build so far, will remove Fram after I break-in engine. I had an extra F4B from my Tiger. Have not verified, but do you know if F4B will clear hood without issues? I used 67 Fairlane thin bakelite spacer. Guess test will be after installation.

Rob

The F4B manifold will clear just fine on a 65/66 Mustang. Keep in mind that the Shelby manifold was similar to the F4B.

Why are you using a 2 groove pulley? Are you using power steering? The C6OE pulley is larger on the mounting area than the original C5AE-A pulley and that is why it does not fit on the balancer. If you are using power steering, the proper forward groove of the crank pulley uses a wider belt that goes direct to the power steering pump which will have an equally wide groove.. This setup also requires a C5OE water pump pulley for clearance of the power steering belt. The standard single groove C5AE-B water pump pulley will not clear the belt properly. The C6OE crank pulley is for 1966 where the power steering belt goes over a 2 groove water pump pulley and then to the power steering pump with the narrower groove. This is actually a better setup.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• You are correct, I have power steering and therefore got the C6OE damper pulley. I also have a C5OE water pump pulley, but your thought about a 2 groove water pump pulley sounds good. I will look at my Ford Master Parts Catalog and see what the number is on the pulley. Most likely a C6OE as well. I will be getting the damper machined to fit the pulley.

Thxs, Rob

• Official Post

You are correct, I have power steering and therefore got the C6OE damper pulley. I also have a C5OE water pump pulley, but your thought about a 2 groove water pump pulley sounds good. I will look at my Ford Master Parts Catalog and see what the number is on the pulley. Most likely a C6OE as well. I will be getting the damper machined to fit the pulley.

Thxs, Rob

The 2 groove water pump pulley that you need is a C6AE-A. I use the smaller C6OE-B pulley as it drives the water pump faster for A/C cars and helps to circulate more water at idle. The power steering pump will need a 7AA pulley for the narrower belt. If your current power steering pulley is an AC, it is too wide and incorrect. All of this is based on your having a Ford rather than an Eaton pump as both were used in 1965.

I have all of these various pulleys in stock. If you have an Eaton power steering pump, we get to start over again. An Eaton pump is all cast iron where the Ford pump has a tin canister on the back side.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Finally got to looking at the ps pump after a day of softball doubleheaders and an evening ballet performance, luckily I have a Ford pump but it has an AC pulley. Looks like I will have to source both pulleys.

Thxs, Rob

• Official Post

Did pulley AF replace 7AA? I haven't researched yet, but someone made the statement.

Rob

The 7AA pulley replaced the AF pulley so that will work for you.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Will pick up my machined damper tomorrow and pulley. That means I get to match everything up.

AF ps pulley, C6AE-A wp pulley, & C6OE damper pulley

I want to confirm belt lengths and widths. I am assuming:

Water pump to damper to ps

Water pump to alt to damper

Thxs,

Rob

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!