Carb fuel line one turn too many

• I returned my stock ford autolite carb to my engine after running a Holley while waiting for the stock carb to rebuilt. When I installed the ford carb the fuel line was leaking at the fuel inlet despite Teflon tape so I decided to tighten it with my line wrench. I must have overdone it because the the carb fuel line inlet feels like it is stripped. I can buy the appropriate tap and redo the treads or do I have shop for a new carb? Or any other solution available?

Thanks

Steve

• The reason that Teflon tape is of no help is because all of the sealing on the line is at the tip of the line within the flare. Teflon tape on the threads, and I see it a lot on the fuel pumps that I rebuild, is absolutely useless. Is your carburetor an original Hipo unit?

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Being as the original carburetors are really pricey, I would suggest going back to whomever rebuilt your carburetor and see if they have a good idea. I would need it in my hands to see how bad it is but I will take it that your rebuilder is in your area?

Do NOT try to retap the threads as there is not much there to work with. Perhaps a Helicoil would work but you could only use part of the Helicoil. These carburetors start at around $2,500 unless you have a 66 with an automatic and I have seen them as high as $5,000. Therefore whatever you pay to fix it will be better than finding another carburetor. If you are unable to fix it, I do have about 8 units in stock.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Fred,

I think the ultimate answer is to purchase a replacement. My carb has an Autolite tag C50FJ A5CA. Is this something in your stock? If so what is the best way to discuss a purchase?

Thanks Steve

• Fred,

I think the ultimate answer is to purchase a replacement. My carb has an Autolite tag C50FJ A5CA. Is this something in your stock? If so what is the best way to discuss a purchase?

Thanks Steve

I just sent you an email for you to please call me tomorrow.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!