Flex plate, Hatchet weight pinning

• Looking for advise on finding a flex plate. Need the 30.4 oz offset, I have been running 157 tooth without starter problems. The engine is 1965 six bolt with a C4 or K in an A Mustang. The engine is apart and will be balanced, but I don't know how far off the flex plate can be and allow them to properly balance the rotating assembly. I can buy either buy a 28.8 and have weight welded on. or slightly better in my opinion, a 50 oz, guess mill it down some and hand them that. A third option is 28.8 with a bunch of holes drilled opposite the weight.

Another question is properly pinning the hatchet weight to a new Cloyles single true roller timing set crank gear. I have the original crank gear, and see that the pin is 180 degrees from the key way slot, what size pin, solid or spring roll pin, is the pin pressed into the crank gear and slip on the hatchet weight? or both press fit.

Thank you in advance.

• Official Post

In regards to the flex plate, you are in the ideal situation with the engine being prepped for balancing. The balance shop can easily correct the flex plate as they will only be concerned with the proper balance and not an original offset weight. They will create whatever weight is needed during the balancing. The offset only applies if you were not rebalancing the engine.

In regards to the roll pin, it is just a tight fit into the sprocket and not pressed. The counterweight is also just a tight fit and not pressed. The roll pin is standard auto parts store fare and about .122 in diameter.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!