• I'm in the process of acquiring parts to have my motor rebuilt, Is the HIPO timing chain and cam gear available somewhere .

• Official Post

I'm in the process of acquiring parts to have my motor rebuilt, Is the HIPO timing chain and cam gear available somewhere .

I have the NOS timing chain and the cam sprocket is different depending on the change level of your engine. I have them either way. If you are unclear on the change level, just PM me.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Official Post

My 65 fastback was made on April 11th 65 the motor has a date code March 9th 65.

Unfortunately your date codes do not define the change level as Ford did not always change on their published dates. Your date falls into that category.

I have sent you an email.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• I have been told by two different machine shops not to bother putting together a factory hipo timing chain set with the counter weight , they suggest using a double roller chain set up for longevity and accuracy . I will just hang on to the hipo stuff. Another question I have, dose the hipo crank gear and weight use a special oil slinger .

• Official Post

I have been told by two different machine shops not to bother putting together a factory hipo timing chain set with the counter weight , they suggest using a double roller chain set up for longevity and accuracy . I will just hang on to the hipo stuff. Another question I have, dose the hipo crank gear and weight use a special oil slinger .

Here is food for thought regarding the counterweight that most people, and especially machine shops do not realize. Ford is a very large company and in the grand scheme of things will always do their best to save a nickel in building a car. If some engineer comes up with something that will cost a nickel more over a production year, there will be discussions from higher up. If that nickel grew to a dollar, that engineer would be looking for a job elsewhere. How much extra did it cost to add the counterweight and why was it done? In order to justify the counterweight in the first place, there had to be a need, which the machine shops do not understand. Ford engineers were trying to get some of the harmonic weight away from the nose of the crank as they had concerns for the crank. Their solution was to take some of the balance weight off of the balancer and have the counterweight mount at the stronger area of the crank behind the crank sprocket. Of course the counterweight is Hipo 289 specific and that adds more expense. That seems simple enough but in 1963 the timing chain was too wide to accommodate this move. Now the price starts to rise. Ford had to make the narrower chain specifically for the Hipo 289 at that time. That would be dandy if Ford already had the cam sprocket and crank sprocket for the narrower chain, but they did not. Now they had to produce these sprockets specifically for the very low production Hipo 289. The narrower camshaft sprocket required a Hipo 289 specific camshaft retainer plate. Ford really spared no expense on all of this and that is against the grain for the corporate bean counters. Now 53 years later your machine shop wants to just toss all of this out?

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• According to them its not so much the weight and what they were trying to accomplish, its the stretch of the factory chain over time compared to a double roller chain, I may put together a hipo setup and see if he changes his mind. So is there a special oil slinger for the hipo.

• Official Post

According to them its not so much the weight and what they were trying to accomplish, its the stretch of the factory chain over time compared to a double roller chain, I may put together a hipo setup and see if he changes his mind. So is there a special oil slinger for the hipo.

Yes, the oil slinger for the Hipo 289 is different but if you are going the other way, it will not matter. Silent chains, that is what the originals are called, are usually not an issue until about 80,000 miles. Are you going to be driving yours that long? Of course the Hipo Comets in 1964 on their durability run went over 100,000 miles with speeds some where around 100 miles per hour, actually a little more

(41) Triumph At Daytona - YouTube

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!