289 K code crankshaft oil slinger

• I have looked into this and im thinking that a K code engine did not use an oil slinger behind the harmonic balancer like a non K code 289 , there is no reference to it in Bob Mannels small block book or the 65 shop manual , is it due to the hatchet and thinner crank sprocket which has the small dowel pin for indexing it. _chuck-

• HP289 Oil Slinger.jpgThey did and it is different than a standard 289 slinger. 289 parts have crush rings while HP289 parts do not.

After we bought the red car in 2003 I could not set the ignition timing. The strobe showed timing varying wildly. This was odd since the engine only had 3,700 miles on it since it was rebuilt. It was a weak performing engine but the carburetor was so fouled up I thought it might be a big part of what was wrong. What I learned between what I found in tear down and talking with the former owner included two key details:

• The man chose a full synthetic engine oil but paid no attention to “zinc” content.
    • He neglected to install an oil slinger on the crankshaft.

So? So every all ferrous metal slipping interface set of parts, i.e. moved together without a ball or roller bearing, was worn out in 3,700 miles. The worst wear was the timing chain and sprocket gears. With no direct lubrication they became the most worn all metal timing set I have ever had in my hands. I could almost slip the chain around either gear with my fingers and could with a little screwdriver.

When I was hunting a HP289 version back then they were very hard to find in any condition. You can use a standard part and that is what Ford superseded the original part with in later service parts lists. In the last few years they have shown up in eBay® listings every few months. Sometimes sellers know they have a HP289 part and sometimes they do not. I found and purchased a good used HP289 part for our red car and I use oil formulated for old engines.

Dan

Edited 3 times, last by Dan Case (December 5, 2020 at 6:45 PM).

• Thank you Dan , i was looking through my left over 289/302 engine components from small blocks i have taken apart through the years and have both versions of the slingers you show in your post and the difference is clear as to the flat and crush area.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!