64' hi-po fender emblems

• Noticed in the recent hotrod.com article about unreleased photos from a 1964 motor trend article the front fender emblems are different. Were these pre-production or just earlier emblems?

If just a 64 thing I can't imagine them being easy to find!

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1964-…est-car-photos/

The high performance emblems in this article are for the 63 and 64 Fairlane. These are just the backing plate as the 289 emblem is the same as used on the Mustang. The Fairlane high performance backing plate part number is a C3OZ 16098 A which is long obsolete and extremely tough to find in any condition. There are however decent reproductions available but not cheap. I have a VHS tape, what the heck is a VHS tape?, that shows early Mustang TV commercials before the Mustang introduction and just after the introduction. The commercials before introductions just show Mustang horses running teasing about the new car coming. The commercials once the Mustang came out shows the cars in motion including interior shots. Several of the cars have these Fairlane high performance emblems on them however the Hipo Mustang was first produced for the public in June 1964 based on registry records. There were definitely some prior to that as Henry Ford had an earlier Hipo Mustang. I have never heard of an MCA rule for requiring Fairlane high performance emblems on 64 1/2 Kars. My belief is that the Fairlane high performance emblems were only used on Mustangs prior to the actual public Hipo Mustang production. Keep in mind that the Motor Trend article was for the May 1964 issue which was written probably a month prior to the issue actually coming out. This Kar had to have been produced prior to the actual public availability of the Hipo Mustang.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!