Visual difference between standard 289 main bearing caps and 289 hipo caps.

• I know some of you probably thinking most should know this, but I'm more of the 69-70 Mustang crowd. But, I'd like to know the differences between the standard main bearing caps and the hipo main caps. Visual difference as well as any markings to confirm hipo vs. standard.

Any help appreciated,

Rich

• I know some of you probably thinking most should know this, but I'm more of the 69-70 Mustang crowd. But, I'd like to know the differences between the standard main bearing caps and the hipo main caps. Visual difference as well as any markings to confirm hipo vs. standard.

Any help appreciated,

Rich

Rich,

The one obvious thing is that the number on the rear main is C3OE-A where the standard rear main cap is C2OE-B. I am unclear as to how to post pictures here but visually the Hipo main caps have the appearance of being machined on the entire side where the standard caps are only machined near the bearing and have a cast appearance where it narrows down. The Hipo caps do not narrow down. All 289 main caps are numbered 1-4 however Mexican caps have extra numbers, for, I believe, a date code. I can check on that when I return home. The Mexican rear main cap has another series of numbers but not the C3OE-A number for which I can also check when I return home.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Excellent pictures!! Thanks or posting them.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!