Exhaust Manifold Locks

• Engine looks very nice.

April 65 should have the locks. They went away mid 66.
    You can download the 64.5-66 rules from the MCA web site. This is one of the items that is specifically called out.

You can also check the 65 assembly manuals. Washer against the manifold, then the lock. Make sure to bend the tabs over.

Exhaust Manifolds: Natural cast iron appearance (paint acceptable). May show engine color overspray. 64½-65 - tab locks. 66 – tab (early) or ramp-lock bolt and washers.
    Locking tabs must be used to lock bolt in place. Washer behind lock tab. No manifold gaskets ..........................3
    Workmanship, condition and cleanliness.........................................................................................2

• May be a silly question to some, but are you driving the car or is this a real trailered concours car that will not be driven? If you're not driving it I would do the black overspray on the cars manifolds, and definitely lock tab washers. Also, your head gaskets should be triangled tabs, depends on who's judging, but you can get marked off for those square ones. And last thing your oil filter should be double humped, like the repro red Rotunda ones and then should be painted engine color black.

Looks fantastic though and good luck with the restoration, would love to see more pictures...

Jason

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

• May be a silly question to some, but are you driving the car or is this a real trailered concours car that will not be driven? If you're not driving it I would do the black overspray on the cars manifolds, and definitely lock tab washers. Also, your head gaskets should be triangled tabs, depends on who's judging, but you can get marked off for those square ones. And last thing your oil filter should be double humped, like the repro red Rotunda ones and then should be painted engine color black.

Looks fantastic though and good luck with the restoration, would love to see more pictures...

Jason

Thanks for the tips. Not sure much we can do on the head gaskets at this point, but good to know.

Definitely a concours trailered restoration.....$$$.....but the car will be driven sparingly. Not a 100% trailer queen. This is my high school car - so I definitely want to drive it again.....it has been 30 years!!!!

Guy doing the restoration is one of the MCA Head Judges, but focuses more on Shelbys than K Codes.....and the manifolds/locks would be one big difference from a Shelby to a regular K Code.

Oil filter change is planned once motor is back in the car.

Additional research also told me my AMK alternator purchased a number of years ago is incorrect......so more $$$ to get the right one from Dead Nuts On or figure out if the AMK can be restamped correctly.

We are down to all of the small details.

Hopefully Virginia Mustangs will get a correct Autolite battery run done before May!

Check out the SKRAP BOOK section for pictures of the car.

Edited once, last by RalphJr (January 4, 2020 at 8:42 PM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!