• Continuing my 1965 and 66 research to shocks.

My review of the 65-72 MPC shows three different shocks for the front of the car: one for all regular Mustangs (Auto-flex), one for Mustangs with the Special Handling Package (SHP - including HiPo's) (Auto-flex ), and one for GT350's (Koni).

The review of the rear shocks seems a little more complex due to some strange notations in the MPC. It would appear that there were two different shocks available for regular Mustangs; one called "Regular" and one called "Auto-flex"?

The Auto-flex , which I would presume to be applicable for the SHP seems to exclude the H/D suspension?

Then there's a "Super-flex" rear shock, an "Air Shock", and another "Koni" for GT350's?

I have three build sheet codes for shocks to-date. The first is "F" which seems to apply to all regular Mustangs; both 200 & 289. The next code is a "G", which seems to indicate the SHP. And the last code is a "9" which I found on a right-hand drive car with a note for 22:1 steering (which I would conclude is a SHP car as well).

Can someone shed some light on the rear shock applications, as specified in the MPC?

• Auto-Flex was not a factory-installed shock. They were mainly service replacements, some carrying a C8PF number on the fronts.

There was a TSB released sometime during '65 production, IIRC, that had all the codes for Special Handling package shocks.

This is a case where the later edition MPC is going to cause confusion.

• Wow! What a great resource.

I see what you mean. The part numbers are totally different. Just so I'm clear, this refers to the '65 model year? Do you know if it carries through to '66? Is the TSB dated?

Still.... I have 3 build codes for 1966 shocks. There should be another combination besides Special Handling Package, and all others.

Question: Did the SHP come with a 16:1 or 22:1 steering ratio? The TSB says 16:1.

• The shocks for '66 would have carried over the same applications, but the engineering numbers might have changed.

Can't explain the 3 different codes you found on build sheets.

Handling package steering box was 16:1 (4 turns). Obviously, there is an error on that Ford TSB, the tag would have been HCC-AX.

• Charles,

The odd codes were on a right-hand drive export car with a note on the bottom that said: - 22 to 1 STEERING RATIO - USE PART C4ZR 3504E

Strange codes were found in the shocks, and front & rear springs.

Car is a Metuchen built A-code with a 08K build date and 0284 DSO.

• Charles,

From your response in the alternator thread, it sounds like you have copies of the 1965 and 1966 single-year MPC. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you provide relevant engineering codes or scans of the appropriate page(s) for comparison sake?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!