DeCode a number on K code head

• Can anyone tell me what this number means? C50E It is on a K code head with the raised 21 in the corner. The other head has C72E with the raised 20 in the corner. Both heads have the spring seats cast in the head and screwin rocker studs. I'm guessing it is a date code but not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Gary

On edit: I think I have figured this out thanks to a post by RacCol. These are crane fireball heads.

Edited by - garymcgowan on 03/11/2007 23:20:32

Edited by - garymcgowan on 03/11/2007 23:22:06

• The C5OE head was used from 1965 to late 1967 production. The C7ZE head was used only in late 1967. It was replaced by the C8ZE-B head in 1968. The only difference between the C7ZE and C5OE head was that the C7ZE head was cast to allow incorporation of the California smog system (exterior log type). The head was only machined for smog if it was actually used. Smog was installed on California 289 HiPos after May 9, 1967. There were 14 cars so equipped. The C8ZE-B head was always machined for smog and included 4 plugs per head if used on non-smog engines.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!