Early 64 & 1/2 timing gear cover/valve covers

• What is the correct timing gear cover and valve covers for an early HIPO mustang with a 5 bolt block? The car is a June 1964 production. Specifically, which of the following three types of timing gear cover did it originally have?

Type A: Timing cover used to run an aluminum H2O pump and has an oil filler tube and oil cap sticking out of it.

Type B: same as above but has a plug pressed into where the oil filler tube and cap could have been installed.

or Type C: The one found on a 65 hipo running an aluminum H2O pump without any provision for oil filling thru the timing gear cover?

Also, are there any differences in the valve covers from early 64 & 1/2 to the ones used on a 65 hipo? Thanks in advance for helping, Paul.

• Regarding your timing cover: If you have the engine level ("L" date off of the original tag) it will be easier to identify and zero in.

You need Bob Mannel's book, it is an essential reference and you can buy it on line directly from him:

http://www.fordsmallblock.com/

There were a couple of different valve cover configurations depending upon whether or not you have a PCV valve. I believe your car would not have had PCV if it was that early, so you should not have a hole in the right side cover for the valve.

Sorry these aren't fully informed or more help, but at least they will help keep your thread going.

Edited by - round2K on 10/19/2006 08:01:21

• Hey Paul, looks like your car and mine might have been born pretty close together! Mine was built on June 9th of 64, unfortunately I don't think I can help you with your question because I have the same question.

Edited by - cyclonesteve on 10/20/2006 08:35:42

• Paul,

Mannel's book has great info on this topic in chapter 4. He shows photos of all three possible timing covers and the various valve covers as well.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!