Timing chain and sprockets

• There is another timing set thread on here at the moment but I thought I would throw this into the ring.

I opened up my motor and found I have the wider non roller timing chain. The sprockets are 1/2" wide and there are no rubbing issues.

I am trying to figure out how this was made to work as I have the correct hatchet as well. And the oil slinger is fitted out front.

The camshaft thrust plate is 0.212" thick. There is a C spacer on the end of the camshaft and this is 0.217" thick.

The camshaft sprocket is flat with no hub.

I was going to replace the set and have gathered the parts from Cloyes to replace it as it is and run a wider chain.

But now I am thinking I should return it to the thinner chain and be more correct.

I have a spare 0.250" camshaft thrust plate and could buy the correct HiPo gears and chain from Cloyes.

Any one else seen a motor with a wide chain fitted ?.

Opinions please.

• Anyone have any ideas on this ?. My first thoughts were that the wider chain would be stronger and less prone to stretch, so would be beneficial to have it there.

I am confused as to how it is possible for the chain to fit. Can anyone give me a dimension for the length of the crank nose from the front to the hatchet seat area ?. It does not look like the crank has been machined, but I would like to check.

I am thinking that someone has fitted a roll pin to an early type crank sprocket then machined it down to allow the hatchet weight to go behind it.

I have to make a decision as to return the timing set I have and get the correct set or keep the wide set.

Please help me decide.

Thanks

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!