fastback air extractors 65-66

• Hi guys - I just won an excellent set of original vent grills for the upper roof interior assembly. Unfortunately, the panels are cut up, so I have to extract the chrome pieces out and replace into my other panels. Does anybody have a proven method to do this without breaking anything? I've heard use a dremel, but where? I would like more specifics if anybody could help. I've spent years finding these, and I don't want to harm them. I can't believe how nice they are.

Thanks,

Troy

• Troy, I did the same thing several years ago with those pieces on my 66 fastback. Here is what I did, and they have been fine. On the backside you will see pins or studs that that appear to be peened over, or I will say squished. Those studs go through a hole in the fiberglass. So when they mushroom out, they hold the chrome piece in place. Use a dremel and carefully grind the mushroomed part of the stud. Grind in a cicle around the stud until it will push back through the hole in the fiberglass. Place the chrome piece in position on the good fiberglass panel. I used some JB Weld, but I think any good epoxy would work. Make sure the chrome is in the position you want. Mix the epoxy and apply to the stud, around the fiberglass hole it comes through and do the same to the rest of the pieces.I think I weighted the pieces until the epoxy was cured. It worked perfectly. They have been in the car for about 10 years, no problems. Hope this helps. Doug

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!