Remote Starter Switch Question

• Hi all,

I should know thew answer to this but haven't used a remote starter switch in a while and can't remember if I should leave the ignition switch on or off while using it. To add to the confusion the 66 Ford shop manual and remote starter switch instructions say the opposite.

The Ford shop manual says <i>"Crank the engine with the ignition switch OFF"</i> in bold letters. The switch instruction sheet says <i>"Turn the ignition switch inside the vehicle to the ON position. This will prevent damage to the ignition switch"</i>

Which is correct??

Thanks,

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

• The ignition switch should be off. You disconnect the two smaller wires on the solenoid and make your remote starter connection there. The small lug marked S that is closest to the positive side of the battery cable will receive the power from your remote. The other small lug on the starter cable side marked I is the ignition bypass wire and you don't want it connected or the car could try and start.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!